Dammmn let's try to swing your luck in the other direction.

Press F12 on boot up this should bring you to a boot options screen where you can select your CD drive. Once selected you should see a prompt that says press any key to boot from CD. Press any key and your computer should now boot from the CD.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, I'll give that a try tonight when I get home Travis....I appreciate all the help........I sure hope this works.......

well, still the same thing Travis, no matter which boot prompt it would not boot from the disc.....I tried all of the options just to try to get it to do something and still nothin.....guess I'm gonna have to take it in...........

Well that stinks! When you explorer the CD on your working computer how many files do you see on it? Also If you didn't send it in yet I can mail you a working one, I just need you info.

when I get home tonight I'll grab the cd and bring it in to work and check to see how many files there are.....I have not taken it in yet, so let me know what info you need and I'll get it to you....

pm sent......thanks Travis, I appreciate it very much...

• 2 weeks later...

I received the cd's Travis.......messed with it a little last night, got it to boot from one of the cd's but still cant navigate to where the original instructions say to go so will need further assistance....LoL

sometimes I feel really dumb.....I guess thats from having my head under a welding hood for 25 years....... :blink:

• 1 month later...

hey George - did you ever have any luck with this? just curious.

unfortunately not, I still have not taken it in either......

I switched drives with it and tried different boot cd's and still nothing..what was really wierd is I took the drive out of my old computer (which works) and installed it in the new computer and it wont work either so I thought that would tell me its something besides the drive that is causing the issue, but I put the new computers drive in my old computer and it dont work in there either so I am not really sure what to think.....

I just set it aside for now until I have time and cash to take it in somewhere and see what they can do with it...

When you swapped drives--did you look at the jumper settings on back side of drives?

no I did not know about any jumper settings, but these computers I have are identical twin dell GX260 and GX 270 with the windows xp pro on both..........would that make any difference ?

o.k.. here's a thought. Can you plug the bad drive into the older computer as a secondary drive and see the files? If so, grab them and copy them to the hard drive of the older computer. Sounds to me like the newer drive is failing... but that's just a 'female' talking.. :rolleyes:

I can give that a try, would I need to use the boot cd when trying it like this...?...I assume so since it would not do anything.....

not the way she is explaining it you wont. What she is suggesting is take the drive you want the files from and put it in the computer you are currently using as a slave drive. The pc should continue to boot from the drive it is already using and look at the other drive as storage. You will probably need to check jumpers. For this set up I suggest you set the jumper on the currently running drive to master or master with slave. Set the jumper on the drive you want to get data from to slave. Older pcs have the words Slave and Master written on the ribbon cable. Your may not have this, so I figured I'd post that info also. The master goes on the end of the ribbon and the slave goes between it and the master.