egbertdavis

Show Your Dxg Build

Dang! I just ordered a 1040 for my build. I didn't think a 1020 was big enough to get it all in. Oh well, I'll just have to build two.

Very nice build

Man, that is a sweet build. I may have to tap into the DXG world now.

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'll try to get some video with it this weekend to post.

I should have posted my DXG build here.

So it has finally happened; I am done with my first home brew and my first DXG. And it all (finally) works.

Pretty typical stuff inside and out. I am going to get a Dremel and a Dremel workstation before I do another. You can drill and cut with the Dremel and it is perfect for this kind of work. I limped along with a saber saw and a power drill with a cheap-o press. Not recommended.

I used the modular connectors and a Lexan cradle. First time with a heat gun; its not pretty, but it works. I had some trouble with the modulars but once I put some foam behind the camera and had the case close the camera tight into the cradle, it all worked fine.

I spent more time on the case mods and fitting the content than I did on the camera hack. I took my DXG apart three times after the hack so I am pretty familiar with what is inside now. Thanks for the PDF; that was such a big help disassembling and assembling the camera. B224 lens went on perfect and videos are really great color in the day and IR at night. I dont have any to show; hopefully in the next week it will stop raining so I can get out into the woods to place my system. The new 8LED arrays are fantastic; so bright and just perfect for the DXG. I can't wait to start my next one now!! This forum and its members are beyond belief in how helpful you are and I would probably be tossing my 3rd or 4th DXG by now if it had not been for you.

post-6947-1245004930_thumb.jpg

post-6947-1245004938_thumb.jpg

That looks great!!! Nice job.

Well guys, here is my not too special dxg build. It is day only setup in a plano case with a kit 98 mic setup, and setup for external c cells.

P1030002.jpg

P1030001.jpg

Edited by bbahunter

Nice clean looking build.

Very nice. It's amazing how much more room and less wires there are with a straight day only / stock mic build. How does the power get from the C batteries to the cam? I don't see any wires coming from it to the back of the case.

Nice looking build!!!!

Well guys, here is my not too special dxg build. It is day only setup in a 1060 case with a regular mic setup, and setup for external c cells, which i may change to d cells.

Nice job and I like the choice of camo on the case.

Edited by TCSCOUT

Very nice. It's amazing how much more room and less wires there are with a straight day only / stock mic build. How does the power get from the C batteries to the cam? I don't see any wires coming from it to the back of the case.

The wires from the battery holder to the servo are not hooked up yet, because i am undecided on whether to keep the c cell holder, or go with a d cell holder.

1040/ BF array/ kit98/ array runs off of 8AAA (6v).

post-5910-1245284377_thumb.jpg

post-5910-1245284391_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!

I want to try an 1040 build next. But I thought the 1060 was so tight....

I used modular connectors with a lexan cradle. That took up so much room I could not fit the DXG and the LED array on above the other.

Did you think you could get it into a 1040 with modular? I will try the servo next and go 1040 for sure.

Also, I used a Forstner bit to drill into the LED holes so they were not so far behind the surface. I thought I might get more LED out on the front. Now I wonder if I even need that since they are so bright. I see you did not drill out the LED holes from the front. Do you get enough light from them this way too?

Nice build.

Bryan

Thanks. Yes you could use modular connectors in a 1040, just would not use the cradle. You would just need to add a little bit of foam on the lid to hold the camera against the connectos. The leds are plenty bright without drilling out the front.

I used Dave's shelf method so it adds a ton of room to work with.

Edited by egbertdavis