cameraseesall

K-98 Eats My 9v Batteries Way Too Fast!

I asked about this a few weeks ago. My K-98 (one of two) zoomed through a 9V. So I got another fresh one and replaced it. Two weeks later, that new 9V is down to 4V. So now I am pretty sure my K98 is eating batteries way too fast. I have another one that is fine and it is on 4AA, but they last many weeks. I should get more than 2 weeks out of 1 9V with only 4, 3 minute videos recorded.

Can someone suggest where I should look for why the K98 is always on? I will check the current draw to see how much it is pulling when the system is off. In the very beginning, I noticed a current with the system off, but someone here seemed to think it was okay. I think the sister card is not telling the K-98 to turn off so the K98 is always on full power, even without the BF card being on. I will re-check all my connections, but what exactly would it be that would cause the sister card to fail to turn off the K98?

Is there some diagnoses you can recommend that I can use to trouble shoot what the problem is?

Thanks!

I went through this before and never was satisfied but was able to make the current draw much less when off. Here is the topic, this was a jazz, not a DXG, but I would think the results would be the same.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...c=31652&hl=

In short here is what I did. This is a Quote from my one of my postings.

I have the same exact setup. I think the current draw is so small that it is no big deal. I bet all with the kit 98 are doing the same thing. On mine is you swap the polarity on the output of the Pre-Amp to the Jazz it goes from around 4 volts to around 2 and draws only .44 ma instead of almost 2 ma when it is in standby. The audio seems to sound the same either way. So for a little more battery life I have mine connected in the way which it only draws .44 ma. Thanks for adding to the post; I was wondering if you had changed anything or were using it like it is.

This would be swapping the preamp "Output & Ground" connections, the ones that go to the DXG. Connect a meter in series with the battery to the preamp and take ma readings both ways and see if it is lower one way more than the other. I found it was and noticed no difference in the sound.

I've got a DXG and a Kit 98 on order and they are both new hacks for me so this post is timely. I understand the instruction of swapping the wires on the output and measuring the current draw to see which is more efficient. But...... how can it still work? what are you actually changing by swapping the wires. i mean.... if it is the output, i presume it is an on and off signal which makes frequency. and the ground is.... well, the ground. so how can swapping them still produce sound from the kit98?

I am not challenging the solution. just trying to understand the why.

I was working on this tonight too.

The Kit 98 board connects the MIC ground and the Battery ground. The problem is since the KIT 98 board connects the MIC ground to battery ground a new circuit is made through the Jazz causing the ~2mA current draw.

Tcscouts idea will reduce the current draw to around .5mA.

To eliminate the current draw of the KIT98 the MIC output Ground should be connected to the Bat- contact on the Amp sister board. I hooked mine up like this tonight but I haven't tested the audio much yet. Tcsouts can you test this too?

For some reason the BF Array Driver is drawing less then 50uA not sure why yet.

I was working on this tonight too.

The Kit 98 board connects the MIC ground and the Battery ground. The problem is since the KIT 98 board connects the MIC ground to battery ground a new circuit is made through the Jazz causing the ~2mA current draw.

Tcscouts idea will reduce the current draw to around .5mA.

To eliminate the current draw of the KIT98 the MIC output Ground should be connected to the Bat- contact on the Amp sister board. I hooked mine up like this tonight but I haven't tested the audio much yet. Tcsouts can you test this too?

For some reason the BF Array Driver is drawing less then 50uA not sure why yet.

The grounds on the kit 98 are all common, connected together on the board. So if you did that wouldn't that be bypassing the sister board and keep the Kit 98 always on? Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean? I have a dotted line showing how the neg would bypass the Sister Board and put negative right to the preamp. Battery neg to Mic output ground would also put battery neg on the battery neg input all the time? Unless you use a separate 9 volt battery and break the commons between the sister boards, but I don't think that is what you are saying? I don't know if I have one here I can get to the board easy to play with. I have 3 out in the woods. I'll have to check. Look at the diagram and see if I am understanding what you said wrong.

post-5460-1255441982_thumb.jpg

Tcscout I edited your picture. We don't need to add a wire we just need to move the K98 mic out Ground (GreenWire) to the Bat- of the Amp Sister board. This breaks the ground loop back to the jazz. I just don't know if we'll pick up more noise or not.

If using a 9V Now the 9V should last >200hours of recording time vs. 2 weeks to a month. Basically the amp was allways on. I'll play with it more when I get home.

post-1951-1255442384_thumb.jpg

OK, I see what you mean. Not sure what to think. That might give the same results as swapping the output wires like I did, but hopefully it will be better? When I swapped the output wires the current was much less but the sound was the same to me. I use a separate 9 volt on most of my setups and get about one to two months or longer, that is with a 9 volt battery dedicated for the preamp only. I had a lot of kit 98's that did not work well on 6 volts so I switched them to 9. Keep us posted on what you find, maybe I can get to one and test it too. If you find this works better then I can update the diagrams.

OK, I see what you mean. Not sure what to think. That might give the same results as swapping the output wires like I did, but hopefully it will be better? When I swapped the output wires the current was much less but the sound was the same to me. I use a separate 9 volt on most of my setups and get about one to two months or longer, that is with a 9 volt battery dedicated for the preamp only. I had a lot of kit 98's that did not work well on 6 volts so I switched them to 9. Keep us posted on what you find, maybe I can get to one and test it too. If you find this works better then I can update the diagrams.

I don't have any running just on the 9v. I have one 12v, 6v, and one 7.5v (5C's). The 6v has a ticking sound in the audio.

I came home for lunch and did some test's again. The Jazz i'm doing these test's with uses 7.5v (5c's) which feed the array and the Kit98. The audio sounds good too.

2ma Original config During Stand by (the Kit98 is actually on all the time!)

.54ma with Mic output switched

.052mA with Mic Ground moved to Bat- (Since the array and Kit98 are connected this .052ma occurs when I connect the wires from the BF board to the Sister Board. So i don't think it's the LED Driver or the ki98 that are drawing the 52uA but the BF board maybe. Beats me!)

I don't have any running just on the 9v. I have one 12v, 6v, and one 7.5v (5C's). The 6v has a ticking sound in the audio.

I came home for lunch and did some test's again. The Jazz i'm doing these test's with uses 7.5v (5c's) which feed the array and the Kit98. The audio sounds good too.

2ma Original config During Stand by (the Kit98 is actually on all the time!)

.54ma with Mic output switched

.052mA with Mic Ground moved to Bat- (Since the array and Kit98 are connected this .052ma occurs when I connect the wires from the BF board to the Sister Board. So i don't think it's the LED Driver or the ki98 that are drawing the 52uA but the BF board maybe. Beats me!)

That sound good. When I switched the wires and got it down to .5 ma's I thought that was good, .052 ma's sounds great to me. Maybe a few of us can try it and if it works like this I'll up date the drawing. I was getting funny sounds with 6 volts and that is why I went to the 9 volts. I have some working on 7.5 and 9 volts with the array too. So you have the Kit 98 Pos output going to the Cam pos input and the Cam Mic Ground going to Bat Negative. Just want to make sure you didn't leave them switched and then move the Mic to ground, or did you try it both ways?

Well I moved the wire like said on a Jazz that I had here, it's a 6 volts SLA battery Feeding the Array and Kit 98 both. I disabled the Array for the test. Here is what I got.

Original Design 1.25 ma's unit off

Output Wires Swapped .43 ma's unit off

Mic ground to Batt ground 48.3 ua's or .0483 ma's unit off

When recording with Mic ground to Batt ground 1.59 ma's unit on

Then when it shut back off it went back to 48.3 ua's or .0483 ma's unit off

I think you got it, I know that I'm going to change mine as I get around to it. You did good. I would say maybe a couple of guy try it and report back on it. If it's no problems then I can change the diagram. My test was with a Jazz, all my DXG's are out in the woods. I would expect the same results from them.

What's your thoughts?

Forgot to add that the sound was still excellent!

Edited by TCSCOUT

I'm in the middle of building a jazz unit and will connect it up like this too and test it out. Mine is being powered with a 6v sla too so I'll see if the sound is up to snuff on the 6v. Its an 12ah 6v sla, so it should do ok on powering. Great work on this Travis!

Well I moved the wire like said on a Jazz that I had here, it's a 6 volts SLA battery Feeding the Array and Kit 98 both. I disabled the Array for the test. Here is what I got.

Original Design 1.25 ma's unit off

Output Wires Swapped .43 ma's unit off

Mic ground to Batt ground 48.3 ua's or .0483 ma's unit off

When recording with Mic ground to Batt ground 1.59 ma's unit on

Then when it shut back off it went back to 48.3 ua's or .0483 ma's unit off

I think you got it, I know that I'm going to change mine as I get around to it. You did good. I would say maybe a couple of guy try it and report back on it. If it's no problems then I can change the diagram. My test was with a Jazz, all my DXG's are out in the woods. I would expect the same results from them.

What's your thoughts?

Forgot to add that the sound was still excellent!

Awesome Results! I would think this holds true for the DXG too. I only have one but I need to order a regulator for it. Humm maybe i'll hot wire it for some testing.

I asked about this a few weeks ago. My K-98 (one of two) zoomed through a 9V. So I got another fresh one and replaced it. Two weeks later, that new 9V is down to 4V. So now I am pretty sure my K98 is eating batteries way too fast. I have another one that is fine and it is on 4AA, but they last many weeks. I should get more than 2 weeks out of 1 9V with only 4, 3 minute videos recorded.

Can someone suggest where I should look for why the K98 is always on? I will check the current draw to see how much it is pulling when the system is off. In the very beginning, I noticed a current with the system off, but someone here seemed to think it was okay. I think the sister card is not telling the K-98 to turn off so the K98 is always on full power, even without the BF card being on. I will re-check all my connections, but what exactly would it be that would cause the sister card to fail to turn off the K98?

Is there some diagnoses you can recommend that I can use to trouble shoot what the problem is?

Thanks!

Cameraseesall Well this should improve your battery life by 30+x's. Let us know how your 9v holds up.

Yes that is a great improvement. I forgot about the 360 Cam that I had the DXG on. It's sitting up on my mantle so it would not get busted up. I should be able to test that one out. I check it out in a little while and see what I come up with.

I just changed my DXG with the drain problem and will test it tomorrow. Then I will check my other camera system which seems to be getting good K98 battery life, but I think it is seeing the .56ma draw from testing I did on the bench when I first built it. I will change it to the .04ma mode tomorrow once I confirm I get that on my 9v hog.

Thanks a LOT for this help. Excellent findings from you all.

OK, I tested my DXG, 6 volts running the Array and Kit 98. Pretty much got the same results:

1.24 ma's original connections while not recording

Moved the wire from Mic Neg to the Battery Neg and got:

41ua's or .041 ma's while not recording

1.53 ma's while recording

then went right back to .041 ma's after recording ended.

Yepper, Great Work FznYupr! I'll change the Jazz and DXG Drawings to reflect the change and when we are satisfied that it's no problems I will post them here and on the other Topics that I have on here as well. Thanks for making this better and sharing it with everyone.