Sign in to follow this  
KZ3

Flashlight Upgrade

I saw this online and thought I would post it here. It's very bright and works great as a tracking light.

First buy a cheap Eveready Flashlight. Energizer Battery 2AA Cmpct Indust Flashlight IN215WB-S

I used a Eveready Colors flashlight. Built cheaper but I just happened to see it and tried it.

Open up the flashlight and you will see some plastic fins that surround the batteries. Take a 5/8s drill bit and drill out the battery compartment. I used a 3/4 because that's what I had.

Then install the Radioshack KPR112 Krypton Lamp to replace the bulb that's in there. I know people use this one but the KPR118 would seem to work too.

I used Part #:MAGLWSA501

MagLite WhiteStar Krypton Lamp 5, D or C cell because it was at my local Hardware store which would be the same as the KPR118 and is rated closer to the right Volts.

Then buy 3 lithium 123 photo batteries.

Install the batteries and turn on. Basically one of those high dollar flashlights for cheap. Batteries are the most expensive part.

I know people also use a 2C maglight to do this. They use a piece of PVC as a battery tube in the middle of the flashlight and fill in around the PVC to center it on the contacts.

Sorry I don't have pics. Here is a link that may clear up what the parts used look like.

Here

The bulb replacement is real easy. Just unscrew the contact cap and put the new one in. Don't touch the glass on the bulb. Other than that just take a drill bit and drill out where the batteries go and that's it.

I tried this too after finding a video how to do it on the internet. It is a very bright flashlight when finished but i have found that the bulbs don't last too long before they go out. Also can't keep it on very long or it will melt the plastic refractor behind the bulb.

I tried this too after finding a video how to do it on the internet. It is a very bright flashlight when finished but i have found that the bulbs don't last too long before they go out. Also can't keep it on very long or it will melt the plastic refractor behind the bulb.

I had the same problem with the plastic melting . Other than that it worked great.

Someone from Boeing should have read this post in 2010.