speed2spare

Wanted Used Winchester Post 64 Long Action Stock

I am looking for a used wood Winchester model 70 post '64 long action stock. Scratches or gouges are fine as the stock will be redone and airbrushed, no cracks though please. Just do not want to ruin the one on the gun right now.

Please PM me with any info you may have on where I can get one for a decent price.

John

I'm quite sure I don't have one to offer, I thought I would bump this up for ya though.

why not use a synthetic stock if your painting or dipping it. they would probably be cheaper than a wood stock for that gun.

Edited by axe3761

I want to stick with the wood for the weight. It is chambered for the .300 Weatherby and I shoot a pretty stout reloaded round out of it. A 5 shot average on the chrono with a 150gr Ballistic tip was 3493 feet per second. It is a deer thumper.

It will be getting a Limbsaver recoil pad as well with the new stock.

Good luck finding a stock. I can't help you out but I was interested in your choice of reloads. Shooting a 150 gr. at almost 3400 fps is packing a punch for sure. That looks like a maximum load for a 150 gr. bullet. When I was young and dumb I used to hunt groundhogs with my 300 Weatherby with a 110 gr. hollow point boat tail at 4000 fps. It shot pretty accurate as long as I held on real tight. I wised up and bought a 22-250 before I separated my shoulder. Now that I am old and dumber I still use my 300 for deer but found that using 77 grains of IMR4350 with a 150 gr spitzer shoots very accurate for me. Like you said. It is a deer thumper. When you get your gun finished, I hope you would post some pics.

Edited by steve

Steve you are right. It is a maximum load. I use 89 grains of Reloader22, 150 grain Ballistic tip and CCI250 magnum primers (which are about as easy to get as mint condition P41's now). This load has a case capacity in the upper 90's. The powder is just starting up the case neck before seating the bullet.

Looks great. If that Ruger shoots as good as it looks, those varmints don't stand a chance........