Getting In Shape Next Year

My mom brought some old pictures over this last thanksgiving day. They had to have been taken by a girl, you know, they always take pictures of people, where we are more likely to take pictures of places and things. What a good looking young man I was lol... OK, I have always looked like they beat me with an ugly stick, but I was in decent physical condition when I got married.

That is going on 32 years ago now, and I think I must have gained a pound a year every year. I'm bound and determined to reverse that come the new year, and I thought I might ask for some company. I'm just under 6 foot, but built heavy, and my knuckles drag the ground, so I'd look OK at around 190.

I had lifted weights and worked out in high school, and I could easily do 100 chin-ups, 100 push-ups, and 100 sit-ups...no problem. I could do 5~6 one arm chin-ups , and I could do 10 push-ups with my wife sitting on my shoulders too.

Here is the embarrassing part. The other day I decided to see how many chin-ups I could still do. Good thing I was alone, cause it was a struggle to do....2. Of course I said out loud, it must be these heavy boots I'm wearing, but I knew that wasn't it... Push-ups, I just did 5 good ones, and my belly hits the floor before my chin :(

Sooooo...here is the deal, if anyone wants to get back in shape with me, I'd love to have a friendly competition. Any interest or ideas??? You can still enjoy the rest of this year, I ain't gonna begin till after January 1.

I might join you on this Chris. I'll warn you, it might be unfair since I think I've got a bit more belly to loose. I am hoping to cut some fat this coming week when firearms deer season opens in PA. I am one of the dedicated drivers on the crew. I am about 6-0 or 6-1 and about 290#. I'm not overly old at 31, but a friend of mine had his first heart attack at the age and approximate weight I am at now.

tbass, I don't actually have a scale anymore, we might be closer than I think. I'll have to get one and see.

I'll join in on this. I'm 6'1" and 235 and am wanting to get back down to 200. I was 256 and have since dropped a little over the past year to 235 and need motivation and this might be the trick. Instead of pounds lost just do percentages so it makes it fair for all who join.

I don't have access to any equipment, but I still remember how to do jumping jax and knee bends. I can get off my arse and away from this computer for a while, and do some sit-ups and push-ups too...a few anyway :)

Edited by 212

I'm in. 5' 9" 220lbs. I thought with my left knee surgery in August, i was going to be able to start hitting the treadmill and pavement and really get this dropped off, but then my right knee started swelling up again. But, i do have the bike. Looking to get to 185.

Sure this sounds great. I'm 5'8" and 235# will be 45 in Feb. and really need to loose the weight. Any plans on how we should keep track and help each other ?

Thanks

It's going to have to be on the honor system, but I don't think any of us would cheat. I just thought to post this last night, and haven't given it much thought yet. We could divide into teams if we wanted to, don't know how many yet. We could all be on the same team too, and have a common goal to meet a certain number of pounds lost and fitness. I thought we might all contribute a small entry fee, but not to award the winner the money, instead, it would go to one organization or another. Maybe if we reach 51 percent of our goal, the money goes to the NRA, and if not, then it goes to PETA. You know what I mean, something so revolting we will never let that happen :)

I'm fully open to suggestions though, like I said, I haven't thought too much about it so far.

I'm trying to convince myself to lose some weight too, ok, a lot of weight. MY knees are shot and would love to stop lugging around over 250lbs (not sure of my weight) I'm 60 years old and my old heart would love it too. I've got a bad heart valve that will need replacing someday and it'd be nice for my heart to coast a little bit more if it didn't have to push blood thru all this fat LOL. I'm a 6 footer that was skinny till I was 35, after 40 is when I blew up

somebody better wake me up and soon, maybe this is it

Tin

Maybe we can set a group goal and a personal goal. We would of course have to have an end date to go with the start date. Seems most guys want to lose 20-40# so maybe we pay 50 cents or a dollar for every # in our personal goal? I like the idea of donating to an organization. As long as its not ELF, HSUS, or PETA that is. Oh and I don't want to have to post a picture of my belly like they do on "The biggest loser". :P

Chris,I'm in and I can also remember when I could do alot more pushups and situps.At 51...5'8" 178 Ibs and legs barely long enough to reach the ground,I too need to lose the gut that has been forming before it becomes a more difficult challange to shape up.

I'm in too. I will tackle it for two people. Crazy Canuck (regular on this site) is my brother and has just learned he has pancreatic cancer. He's being operating on this week and they will remove half his stomach and intestines, then chemo. I had decided to try and lose some weight at same time, so he has some company as I am sure he'll be losing weight pretty quickly.