Getting In Shape Next Year

:lol: I had to go to the top of the page to see if this topic was in the "Cabin". You guys have me continuiously laughing reading all this stuff! Keep it up, that exercises the gut muscles when you laugh! :lol:

212 that scales may help you to cheat a little there... some of them uh lower price ones weigh a little different if you know what I mean! :P

I padded up a bit for the contest also I think. At least there aren't many left overs in the fridge :P

That's funny Bat, I just read a recipe for left over turkey and ham. I was thinking....what left overs :)

is there an official start date for this show? is it the first or next Monday (1/3)?

I have been getting ready - i have ate and drank so much over the last couple of weeks....... one more "Christmas" to go to at the in-laws in a couple of days and I may explode. i am actually looking forward to this diet.

I intend to weigh in and start on the first, but don't let that cause anyone else to not enjoy yourselves over the week-end. Anytime you want to join in is fine with me. I have my motivation....I looked in the mirror the other night and saw my behind starts about half way up my back now....but we can still ask hags about offering a prize to the contest winner if you want to.

i just weighed myself im about 6 foot 3 inches tall and 230.1 pounds. a few years ago i was 300 pounds then i got down to 205. so id like to lose about 20 pounds or so.

I am trying to start already I am right about 220 and I need to drop about 30 to make myself and my doctor happy. Never had to diet before in my life so this will be interesting :blink:

I opened my new scale, and tomorrow I will be returning it and getting a better one I guess. I can shift my weight slightly, front to back, and make it read from about 215 to about 230 or more...

Story sounds a lit like me :lol:

I sent hags a message about collecting a pot for the winner, but either way we need a scoring plan....any ideas??? I would like to include push-ups, sit-ups, and chin-ups in the plan too. Maybe 10 of any of those count as much as one lb lost???

DIET.....no way Dave, that's not what real men do, we might just cut down on a few things is all.

The only way to truly do it is to go by percentage of weight lost.. 1lb for a smaller guy is a huge percentage compared to 1lb for a guy like me!!! :lol:

Dave.. I had never dieted either. The only thing I can say is that it is NOT easy. I kept a log of everything I ate and counted calories. If you want the secret to weight loss, it is really just more calories than burned than consumed equals lost weight!!

I cut down on portions. I cut out some carbs and upped my protein intake, but did not stop carbs all together. I did not think that was a sustainable option for me. I also cut out most fried food and ate a ton of chicken and fish. Substituted fruit for fries, etc.. Eventually, it was like second nature and I still eat this way. It was truly a lifestyle change. I also eat between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Lots of nuts, fruits, yogurt, etc..

Good luck to everyone. I slacked off and gained a few pounds over the holidays and will getting back on the horse after this weekend. You wont believe how much better you will feel once you start working out again and start shedding a few pounds..

There are lots of websites and online tools you can use. There are also a number of apps for you guys with iPhones. Lance Armstrongs livestrong.com is a pretty good choice. I also always did my research before I went out to eat to see what low calorie options are available at the restaurant. There are a number of websites and apps to help out with that as well.

i will agree with percentage weight loss overall, that is the only fair way to do it. it would be fine to add maybe a side thing with pushups and chinups and such.

Yeah, I agree that percentage is the fairest way also. I dunno about this sit up/pull up deal. I don't think I can even do a pull-up anymore, and with my gimpy shoulder after my bike crash, I can only get about half way down on a push up before it hurts to much. That's a good thing to, because if i could get all the way down, I would probably learn that I can't do a full push up either. :unsure::P If we just do the percentage thing, that will keep it simple. My 2 cents.

Gary

Percentage thing it is then. Percentage of what though...total weight or total weight to lose? I really have no clue about how to do this and make it work, so please help!

I get the injury deal Gary, it was about 3 years after I hurt my shoulders before I could even hold my arm out. That just means you will have to do more sit-ups :lol: Maybe the exercises can be a tie breaker if nothing else.