Getting In Shape Next Year

Everyone weigh in initially. Then each week you weigh in again. You take the number of pounds lost and divide it by your starting weight to get the percentage of weight lost. You need to keep a log though because it is total weight lost divided by starting weight.

Total Weight Loss/Starting Weight = % Loss x 100

EX:

Starting weight = 250lbs

Weight lost in week 1 = 5lbs

5lbs / 250lbs = .02 = 2% weight loss

If you lose 3 more pounds in week 2, then it would be:

8lbs / 250lbs = .032 = 3.2% weight loss

I kept a chart to monitor the weight loss. It is also pretty good motivation to want to see that chart continue to climb. I remember a few weeks of gaining weight after I had worked my butt off that week! It only made me work that much harder!!!

Percentage thing it is then. Percentage of what though...total weight or total weight to lose? I really have no clue about how to do this and make it work, so please help!

I get the injury deal Gary, it was about 3 years after I hurt my shoulders before I could even hold my arm out. That just means you will have to do more sit-ups :lol: Maybe the exercises can be a tie breaker if nothing else.

Chris,

The spreadsheet that I posted calculates the percentage. You could just add us all to that.

I'll be using an elliptical machine a bunch for my exercise, and swimming too, but our center here just closed the pool for a month. My wife is a personal trainer and will set me up with some weight lifting stuff too. She can cut the weight that you usually use in half, and then make you lift correctly, and it's harder than using twice as much. Working out with her is pretty embarrassing since she can out lift me right now. :blink::lol:

Gary

That spreadsheet looks pretty darn good. I'll also be using an elliptical maching and weights. Here's my problem, once my muscle mass starts to come back, I'll actually pick up weight a bit. Can we add a category for inches?

For example when I was in the military, I was always considered overweight since I was 5' 9" and 190. The weight chart said i was heavy even though I was under 10% body fat. I'd suggest throwing in some measurements at the neck and waist as well. Gary, your wife might have an idea as to how to calculate that in.

The chart is great, but it doesn't set the rules. The winner is the one who _________????

Treadmill on order from Sears :-)

I am over indulging tonight, but bring on the new year!

Thanks guys for getting me motivated.

Glad to have you on board!

OK...we have permission from hags...we can go ahead and take up and offer some cash prizes :) We can talk about it later, and if you want to participate in this, but don't want to be in the pot, that's fine too. I haven't decided if I want in yet, because I'm bound to win, if there is anything I'm good at, it's being a loser :59:

JRM6868, this starts no sooner than 1-1-10 and runs till 5-1-10, get in!

Edited by 212

I'm going to have to weigh in later next week. Turns out the bathroom scale is off a tad bit, so I'm buying a new one.

OK, I weighed in this morning on our bathroom scale at 270. Everyone was asleep, so I fired up the Wii fit and here's what it shows. My little guy there will get smaller as I lose weight. :)

post-34-1262377449_thumb.jpg

I think the easiest way to do the contest is just most percentage lost. We could also have a separate contest for most inches from the waste lost or something like that too maybe?

Gary

"Keep it simple" it is then.... the most percentage lost wins the contest.

Yes Ron, muscles weigh more than fat, so if you want to, we can also have a separate category, and a contest within the contest...just say how you want it.

I still have the cam test fund paypal account, and I verified it is active. I can use it to accept entry fees for the cash awards...if that suits everyone. I think a 10.00 entry is about right, and you can enter both categories or just one. Mark it for goods, so I have your name and address, which I will keep private, and be sure to type your screen name in the comments, so I can keep it straight.

Be forewarned, there is no way for me to verify anything, so this is going to be on the honor system. For that reason, to be a cash winner, you will need to have been a member here for the last 6 months or more, or have a minimum of 50 legitimate posts here on the forum.

We are almost there..anyone have any questions or comments that might need to be considered???

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...c=37431&hl=

Welcome to the first annual Hagshouse first "Getting In Shape" contest! The rules are simple...

Weigh yourself and post it here.

Lose weight and post the new number a week later.

Do this every week till May 1, 2010.

Calculate your percentage loss of your starting weight.

The one who loses the biggest percentage of their starting weight wins.

In case of a tie, the win will go to the one that adds the most bonus points.

Bonus points are...one point for each sit-up, and or push-up, and or chin-up.

If there is still a tie, we will flip a stupid quarter :lol:

Join any time before the ending date...

If you qualify, and want to participate, you can also send a $10 entry fee to camtestfund@yahoo.com

You do not have to send the entry fee, but you do if you want to be eligible to win the pot.

The pot will go to the person that loses the biggest percentage of their starting weight...and paid the fee.

In case of a tie here, it will be settled the same way as written above.

Be forewarned, there is no way for me to verify anything, so this is going to be on the honor system. For that reason, to be a cash winner, you will need to have been a member here for the last 6 months or more, or have a minimum of 50 legitimate posts here on the forum.

If this is acceptable, I will start a new topic with this. I'll take no answer as a yes answer, but please say your piece if you have an issue with any of it???

Edited by 212

I need all the competition I can get to push me on the diet track, so I am in. I am 6'4" and am somewhere around 250#. I'll weigh on Monday the 4th for my starting weight as I still have a couple big meals booked over the weekend for weight of record. I do know one thing, after 40 it is a lot easier to put it on, and a lot harder to get it off.................and I sure ain't gonna many bonus points :o).

Edited by befus