Antivirus Recommendations

Wondering what everyones recommendation is for antivirus software? I have free versions of Spyware, Lavasoft, SUPERAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster and Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware.

My Windows 98 computer was giving me troubles and I took it in and they put Advast on it (had Norton and then picked up MacAfee but it wasn't compatable with Windows 98 so never used it). Switched to a Windows XP and when I got it they put Advast on it and got rid of the Norton. Suddenly got something like 20 Trojans on it and took it in to another shop and he redid it all and got rid of the Advast (though I can still get it put on, free version... I'm cheap lol). I usually use the Lavasoft and Spybot but wondered if anyone knew about the others? They are on it in the programs but not installe? Thanks.

I am running XP also and had trouble last week with trojans and other stuff out there.I called my daughter and son-in-law who work in the computer industry and they recomended installing Microsoft essentials which you can get free at www.microsoft.com/security_essentials.I just googled it and it came up(just hit the download button.It cured what ever I had on here.Seems to work good.

I suggest Norton, but McAfee and Trend Micro have some good stuff also. I'm partial to Norton because they saved my but in the late 90's when McAfee was slacking. I think House Call by TrendMicro is free. A couple things to consider, you get what you pay for and if its good your friends and others will have mentioned it at some point. Not that some or any of those are bad, but I haven't heard of half those.

I had Norton for years but it is a computer memory hog.. I got rid of it and went to AVG freeware. So far so good.. :)

I had Norton for years but it is a computer memory hog.. I got rid of it and went to AVG freeware. So far so good.. :)

That's what I heard about Norton, each time you update it you add on to it, it doesn't get rid of the previous version so it keeps using up memory.

Thanks for the microsoft essentials tip Boney, I see in the taskbar that I am running that now, must have been installed/updated when he repaired the computer.

I know tbass about the getting what you pay for but have heard good/bad about alot of them so was curious. Figured on doing the AVG but never used it before so wanted to check.

Thanks everyone. Didn't want to go through all that hassle again. Couldn't do anything with this computer and going back to Windows 98 was so weird and it's only been about 6 months! Windows 98 was also so SLOW compared to XP (on dial up).

Thanks for the links and explainations. When I was on the website of the guy who fixed this he listed alot of those but had to run them at your own risk so that further made me nervous. I do have the ccleaner on here too but haven't done anything with it since before the fix. Advast is what I had and a few weeks before had updated it. Women (computer store) who I got the computer off highly recommended it but later found out hers crashed as Advast hadn't cought it.

Thanks again. Will look at this when have more time (church time now).

• 4 weeks later...

Go to major geeks .com.They have anything you need.You can read about a program,see a screen shot of the program.I have Windows XP pro and use AVG virus protection and spy-ware blaster. CC cleaner is a good program.

+1

I have 4 computers in the house. both desktop and laptops. I run AVGFree on all of them. I also run CCleaner on them. I have run AVG for about 6-8 years now and never have had any problems with it. The CCleaner I have run for about 2 years. It is easy to use also.

Avg can be setup to run at night on a schedule while you are sleeping and it won't interfere with your online time.

• 3 months later...

I currently use Bit Defender Antivirus 2010 .

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
I run the free version of Avast, it is awesome and I have no problems with my laptop after 3 years!

I use Avast as well, really pleased with it.