Rick Gray

C328 Serial Camera

well the camera is finished enough to use so I am going to use it as just another camera for the season. I will work on the wireless this winter. Here are some pictures of it. There is nothing else to do to the camera any more - for the wireless all I need to do is hook it up and add the programming. I left the wireless disconnected so that it is not draining any power. I used a walmart box that I dipped the front on to get the electronics in one box. I was able to pull all the stuff out of the other box without damaging it and moved it to this box. I put it out in the woods today and will post some pictures from it when I get them.

post-7596-1277076433_thumb.jpg

post-7596-1277076439_thumb.jpg

I'm real curious to see the quality of the video. Keep us posted.

Here are a some of pictures from the camera. It has been 2 weeks and not one single night picture yet. The pictures are good enough that I can tell what the animals are but they are very washed out from the IR. I may look at adding an IR cut filter to it for daytime shots.

I looked at the time stamping software but found they all that I found used an EXIF tag for the date the picture was taken and my camera does not do that yet. Does anyone know of any software that will stamp using the date of the file?

post-7596-1278345958_thumb.jpg

post-7596-1278345970_thumb.jpg

post-7596-1278345984_thumb.jpg

Rick,

Did you progress and make some more of these? I had thought of it myself and then was directed to this post!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

So far this is the only one that I have made. It works good enough to tell what the animals are. I have some issues that I am working on one is that the only night picture I have gotten had a ring in it. Could be from IR bleed or my neighbors lights from their house? The other is power. I am trying to slow the processor down (it does not have a sleep mode) and pick the speed up when I need to take a picture. The slower speed will conserve power but trying to go from 20KHz to 80MHz and back to 20KHz has been giving me some fits. From this one I have learned quite a bit and I am looking at it as my prototype and looking at getting a wireless one going after the seasons are over this fall.

I think with the next version I am going to make the downloader just sit here at the house and collect data from the cameras reporting back to it. That will simplify the wireless part (I got hung up building that part trying to make it complicated). I ordered a couple of the IR exchangers so that I will hopefully be able to get better pictures. If the exchanger gives me trouble, I am just going to mount 2 cameras in it side by side and just get with the IR filter and one without. I am also going to change modems. I have found an xbee at 900Mhz that has a 6 mile range (expecting 2miles in the brush) with a 240ma draw with a lot more baud speed up to 115K. It also has a transmit power that can be controlled so I can power it down and the power draw should be less.

If your looking at trying the C328 it works pretty dependably. With bad code the camera was locking up on me quite a bit but since I have gotten my code straighten out it works well. If anyone is interested in this you will probably need to look beyond the picaxe. The biggest problem is getting the SD card driver working. The PIC processors do not have a lot of memory but some of the 40 pin PICs do have a SPI bus meant for connecting up a SD card. The propeller processor has a lot of drivers for SD Cards and FAT file system so from a programming aspect you just make calls to the procedures and the drivers take care of most of the work (kind of like what picaxe is doing for you). For this project the camera is putting the picture in the JPG format so all I had to do was transfer the serial data to the SD card.

If anyone needs any help let me know. I can share code and have a lot of experience with the PIC processors (sorry not the picaxe or basic stamps) and the propeller.

post-7596-1281759851_thumb.jpg