Adware!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

:censored: Help me out guys. I at least once a day scan my system for spyware and adware. I just bought a commercial version called NoAdware figuring it would eliminate ALL the adware. Well, It will find the stuff and remove it, but the following day, the shi@ it back on there. I even run additional spyware like Spybot and Adaware. Everytime I scan it finds somthing. How does this spyware keep getting on my computer? Any ideas on how to end it once and for all? They should string up these guys that write this spyware junk by the balls if you ask me! Its clogging up my system. Is there a way to prevent I.E from downloading hidden spyware routines automatically? Edited by Jaggermax

Exactly,what kind of adware are you getting-home page changing on IE,pop-ups and etc....Need more info to help Jag.Adware can come from good known websites.Sounds like it is in your system regristry,which is usually where the good ones get,hard to get rid of it. :2cents:

Jagger.. You must have a virus of some sort.. I run AVG antivirus, AdAware and Spybot and it takes care of 99% of all my popups and viruses.. There is a forum called TechSupportForum.com linky and they can help you find and eliminate your viruses and get everything back up and running. I think that it is run by some microsoft certified guys.. They helped me get rid of a nasty virus that was hijacking all my websites and causing lots of havoc... Good luck!

:cheers:

Yea, the symptoms started a week or so ago. I noticed it took a long time for windows to boot. Then it started taking longer and longer for web pages to come up. Then, popups started to occur. Strange thing is that all the adware removal programs I am running will find the adware, but then tell me they will be removed on the next reboot. I reboot, and scan again, and they still there. I will try that Website coondog and see what they can do. Thanks guys.

Go to START,RUN,and in the run command type in-msconfig,then click on the start up tab and look and see what is running in the background.shoot me an email or pm. :2cents:

I don't know it to be fact, but NoAdware is reputed to be spyware itself (search around a bit in the newsgroups on Google).

Here is another link that may be useful:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

By the way, if you go into the Control Panel and open the Add/Remove Programs thing, do you see any weird stuff installed that you didn't install, like "Home Search Assistent" (note the misspelled word) or CoolWebSearch or other junk like that?

Jon

Guess what Jon, I just found that out as well last night. Noadware is a total ripoff it turns out. I ran Norton antivirus with their latest update, and it returned NoAdware as the following "Scam.Noadware.net". Believe that? Man, do I feel suckered. I figured paying for a spyware program would give me a better program. WRONG! I just sent them a nasty email demaning a full refund. I am so amazed that a company can defraud people like this that I am tempted to talk to some of our lawyers at work about it and what can be done (not that I think anything can, but you never know). Seems like a LOT of people on the internet have had the same issues that I encountered. :doh::doh::doh:

Hey Jag,

Yup - all that stuff stinks!

Here's some ways to virtually eliminate most if not all of it...

Short version....

Use Mozilla (Mother of Netscape)

Long version....

Use Mozilla with Java disabled, scripting disbled for mail, images off unless needed,

text only e-mail (no HTML)

Limiting or disabling JAVA and scripts in I.E. will help out some too.

Set your firewall to block "malicious scripts"

And for kicks - set the firewall to log activity - pretty creepy how many attempts are made!

Thanks Arch. Downloading Mozilla now!

Some more info Jag

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878

I use the Mozilla Firefox,better than just mozilla. :2cents: You can get it here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/switch.html

But remember in your case you downloaded a program with adware in it,you cannot prevent that unless you scan the download before opening itrecommended.

:yes:

Where did you download Noadware from?It may be the site you downloaded it from and not the program itself. :2cents:

:note:

What is Firefox?

Firefox is a free, open-source web browser for Windows, Linux and MacOS X and is based on the Mozilla codebase. It is small, fast and easy to use, and offers many advantages over Internet Explorer, such as the ability to block pop-up windows. Read more about the browser at the Firefox Product Page.

What is Mozilla?

Mozilla is an open-source web browser and toolkit, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. They coordinate the development and testing of the Firefox browser by providing discussion forums, software engineering tools, releases and bug tracking. For more about mozilla.org, read Mozilla at a Glance.

What's the difference between Firefox and Mozilla?

Mozilla (Application Suite, also known as SeaMonkey) is a complete suite of web related applications, such as a browser, a mail/news client, a chat client and much more. Firefox is just a browser, which makes it a better choice if you already have a mail client for example. Also, since Firefox is smaller than the whole Mozilla suite, it's faster and easier to use.

Note, though, that Firefox is not just the standalone Mozilla browser. The user interface in Firefox differs from Mozilla in many ways. For example, Firefox has customizable toolbars.

Why should I use Firefox instead of other browsers?

Ben Goodger has written an excellent document covering the main reasons why you should use Firefox instead of other browsers on the market.

Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?

Yes, Firefox and all other Mozilla-based products are more secure. Why? Here is a list of the most important reasons:

It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.

There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.

No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.

Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.

You have complete control over cookies.

Is Firefox free?

Yes! Firefox is open source software, meaning that anyone have the right download and use the browser for free, and view and modify the source code under the terms of the license.

Can Firefox coexist with Mozilla?

Yes. Firefox and the Mozilla Application Suite use different profiles that don't interfere with each other. In Linux, however, there can be problems starting Firefox if Mozilla Application Suite is already running.

Edited by Vic

Thanks for the added info Vic. Might have to give FireFox a try - though plain ol' Mozilla has been flawless so far (fingers crossed :-)

Just for added emphasis - figured I'd repeat some of that info:

QUOTE: "There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes."

Edited by Archilochus

If you are running Windows XP or ME then one thing you need to do is turn off the system restore feature. I'm not sure where it's at in ME but in XP right click the My Computer icon, select Properties and then the System Restore tab. Put a check mark in the box and click OK to turn it off. You can turn it back on if you want after you run your adware software or virus scan. If it's turned on the lovely Microshaft software thinks it's being helpful by restoring any deleted system settings/files and this often includes viruses and adware/spyware junk.

It's also wise to use maybe two different adware scanners. Use the one you have and also install a second one. We have found at work that not all of them clean everything so we use two. There is a freebee one called Spybot Search and Destroy that does a really good job. Here's the url:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Good luck, that stuff bites the big one!

REALLY appreciate all the help guys. It has been a real struggle the last couple of days trying to get rid of everything. I would run adaware or spybot, and delete everthing it found, but as soon as I started I.E, I would run adaware again, and it would find another 30 problems!

So, I have removed I.E and loaded FireFox and turned off the system restore feature. I have been running all day and run Adaware every hour or so, and NOTHING has been found!!! Yeee haaaa. I am done with I.E. Firefox ROCKS!

ALso, I got a reply back from NoAdware.com and here it is. But, I have done some more detective work and all other spyawares return them as a Malware virus. I got it in for them now! I sent them screen caputures of Norton, Spybot, and Adaware all showing the logfile that shows Noadware as Malware. Anxious to see how they will answer to that. I attached a sceenie of Adaware log. So guys, STAY AWAY FROM NOADWARE!

Also,here is ther reply I got back after my ripping email to NoAdware.

Hi,

Real sorry for any inconvenience we might have caused.

Our software is widely used worldwide by a huge number of peoples and

it has been heating the headlines of so many newspapers for a long time.

Our software is absolutely not bundled with any viruses and never installs spyware costumer's PC.You can read more about our product here:

http://www.noadware.net/privacy.php

We take accusations such as these very seriously.

We honestly try diligently to provide customer support.

We usually will work with customers one on one to help them alleviate all of their popup issues/system issues.Can you please allow us to assist you before processing the refund?Can you let us know what problem NoAdware did not get rid of?

We have a very helpful and competent technical team that would love to assist you with any troubles you are still having with your PC. If we can't help, we'll gladly process the refund...

Either way, please let us know.

Thanks!

post-9-1091390554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaggermax

Hey Jag,

That's great! Good to hear you got rid of all that trash.

If you're still using OutHouse.... errr Outlook Express for mail, you might want to can that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I having the exact same problem as Jags having.

I downloaded Mozilla/Firefox but it didn't change my browser or anything. The icon is on my desktop

I'm using SBC Yahoo Browser with their DSL so I don't know if I can change the browser or not. When I go under setting, under browser options the only thing listed is SBC Yahoo.

Any ideas?????

Did I mention I hate pop ups :blowup:

Thanks guys