Sign in to follow this  
hunt4it44

My Fridge Aint Working

i came home from baseball this evening to find water dripping out of the ice chute on my Kenmore side by side refridgerator. When I opened the freezer side, most everything was half melted.

i unplugged it and took the back cover off and cleaned the coils. i let it sit about 20 minutes and plugged it back in. the condensor fan came on but I dont think the compressor is coming on ( i really havent paid too much attention to it, and it is pretty quiet but it does sound quieter than usual). I hear a clicking noise every couple of minutes (like a relay turning on and off). shouldnt one of the lines leaving the compressor have been cold? one line obviously comes back from the coils and the other line out of the compressor goes up into the freezer section.

any suggestions?

When you say it is a side by side, is the freezer on the left and the fridge on the right? If so, open the fridge door and look at the top left and see if there is a vent on the left side about 4-5 inches from the top. Alot of times that will ice up and cause this issue.

If you hear a clicking that is the compressor overload opening and closing. The compressor is trying to start and is not so it goes out on overload to protect it, It could be the starting components or the compressor may be locked up. Could be either of those two things. It has a current relay that plugs onto the compressor terminals. You could replace that as a start or call a pro to diagnose it for u.

If you hear a clicking that is the compressor overload opening and closing. The compressor is trying to start and is not so it goes out on overload to protect it, It could be the starting components or the compressor may be locked up. Could be either of those two things. It has a current relay that plugs onto the compressor terminals. You could replace that as a start or call a pro to diagnose it for u.

I agree with this, but if you unplugged it and plugged it right back in then it could be going out on overload due to the system not having time to equalize the pressure. Wait about 10 minutes and try it again. If the clicking is coming from the small cover on the compressor after it has sat a while then I agree with dwstex38. It has been 30 years since I did that kind of work but it still works pretty much the same I guess. I the the compressor runs but doesn't cool then it could be a few things, but lets see if the compressor runs first.

wow - you guys are good! it is coming from the small cover on the compressor. and when the compressor tries to start, it must be pulling a pretty good load because you can hear the compressor fan change pitch like the voltage dropped. then once the relay falls out, the fan sound returns to normal.

i guess I will see about getting a real tech to come out and look out it. this is the household fridge and I dont have much time to monkey around with it.

thanks for chiming in with your suggestions.

Edited by hunt4it44

I agree with this, but if you unplugged it and plugged it right back in then it could be going out on overload due to the system not having time to equalize the pressure. Wait about 10 minutes and try it again. If the clicking is coming from the small cover on the compressor after it has sat a while then I agree with dwstex38. It has been 30 years since I did that kind of work but it still works pretty much the same I guess. I the the compressor runs but doesn't cool then it could be a few things, but lets see if the compressor runs first.

He said he left it unplugged for twenty minutes then plugged it back in and it was clicking, thats why i figured the compressor was not starting.

He said he left it unplugged for twenty minutes then plugged it back in and it was clicking, thats why i figured the compressor was not starting.

You are right, I went back read it again.

It's a good chance the compressor is bad, hope not.

I know the old refrigerators had a relay under the cover. When the first start the high current would connect the start winding and as the current went down the relay would drop out and connect the run winding. It could be maybe trying to start in the run and not the start mode? Good luck getting it fixed at a decent price.

Edited by TCSCOUT

Yes they are split phase motors unlike air conditioning compressor motors which are permanent split capacitor where the start and run windings stay in the circuit all the time.

Alot of the time its just the current relay is bad. the contacts to the relay are not making to complete the circuit to the start winding therefore it wont start. Ive started them with a screwdriver before just to test the compressor. Take the relay off Hook power between common and run. Plug refrigerator in, jump with screwdriver between run and start until compressor starts then remove screwdriver.you can even Use a start capacitor as the jumper to give it an extra boost. Easy way to diagnose. If it wont start the compressor is locked up or you have a bad winding.

thanks to everyone for offering their suggestions on my problematic fridge. I am $208 lighter in the pocket tonight, but at least it is running again and it couldve been a whole lot worse - my wife had already picked out the replacement and, trust me, that was going to be very very painful.

I wasnt at home when the tech came to fix the fridge. according to my wife, the tech told her it was the compressor starter. for some reason, the tech didnt leave a receipt and is going to mail us one and maybe it will have a better parts description.