Sign in to follow this  
kingfamily

L14 Build

I'm just finishing up my first L14 build with a Yeti board and external power. Everything worked fine when tested by touching the power, shutter, and common leads before hooking it up to the board. The camera would come on and then when I connected the shutter to the common, it would fire a picture. When I hooked it up to the board it powered up, but doesn't take pictures. Was I supposed to solder jumper settings on the board?

Any help would be appreciated.

I may have found what I missed, but would love some reassurance before I do it. The manual mentions soldering jumper AB and EF. Is that what I was missing?? But, I'm confused. It sounds like they are talking about 4 wires to be connected. I only have three on the hack - Power, Shutter, and Common.

Edited by kingfamily

On the board the side with the 2 blue adjustment pots. Look in the center onaway from the pots you will see 2 spots that have sj1 and sj2 written on them Sj1 has abc and sj2 has def. This is where to check to see if they are jumpered properly.It will just be connected with solder no wires. When you see it you'll understand. If thet are wrong they are easy to fix. You can desolder them or do as i did and use your iron and just drag the solder where you need it. Hope this helps.

I just helped someone the other day with this same problem. The soldered jumpers had no solder on them at all. This is a common problem. So no there is no wire going to them. You just bridge them. BC EF

Edited by buckshot164

The L14 board is setup with BC EF jumpers like buckshot said. If these are not soldered, either you will have to do it, or send it back to Mark to have him do it.

The L14 is not a 4 wire hack, the L11 is.

You already have hacked the cam 3 wire, which is correct. Now check the jumpers to make sure they are correct .Also double check the location you inserted your wires to on the board.

Edited by bbahunter

The L14 board is setup with BC EF jumpers like buckshot said. If these are not soldered, either you will have to do it, or send it back to Mark to have him do it.

The L14 is not a 4 wire hack, the L11 is.

You already have hacked the cam 3 wire, which is correct. Now check the jumpers to make sure they are correct .Also double check the location you inserted your wires to on the board.

I checked the jumpers and they are soldered AB EF, which is what the manual says to have jumpered for Samsung cameras. Do I need to desolder the AB and then solder the BC then? Would that be the issue?

Does it make a difference where the Common wire is connected to the board (Common Power or Common Shutter)? I connected to Common Power on the board. Could that be the issue?

Also (forgive my ignorance on the issue), what is the best method of desoldering the connection? I haven't had this issue before.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by kingfamily

Yes you can either desolder the ab and resolder bc or do like i did and just ''drag' the solder across from ab to bc. It is simpler than it sounds. If your wires are connected as it sounds power to p, common to pc and shutter to s. Then it should work after redoing the jumpers.

Yep, that fixed the problem. I soldered the jumpers BC and now it seems to work as designed. I'm just waiting to get my glass lenses in so I can finish the first build. It's been quite an experience so far. I already have two other cameras (another L14 and an E50) that I will be starting on before too long. When I get the first one up and running I'll post pics.

Thanks again everyone.

Good to hear !!! Always nice when it's something simple.