Garage Sale Trash

Did you format drive after xp install disc loaded install files? Did you use a current partition or deleted old partition if any? I usually delete any old partitions & just use 1 main partition,simple. But you make want to create 2 patitions,1 100G/1 30G,approx. Then use can use second partiton for restore,not nessesary though. Did cd drive open when installing? Unusual. When installing setup files,all files should load,if it hangs up there is a problem. Sometimes a memory stick will do this. If you have 2 sticks,just try one,closest to CPU. If that fails try second stick in same spot.

The connection to the main board seems to have been the whole problem. Yes, I deleted everything and reformatted, and it seems OK now.

The connection to the main board seems to have been the whole problem. Yes, I deleted everything and reformatted, and it seems OK now.

Great!! hope we helped.

It was all sitting by the back door waiting to go out, when I thought I'd ask here and give it one more chance. Thanks again for the help!

Good to hear you got it working. But if you want to use it on the internet may be another story. XP software must pass microsoft validation test to receive updates. If you have slow dialup connection then this will take quite awhile to get all updates. If it passes validation test you can also download microsoft free anti virus software. I use it on 1 computer & it detects same files as Mcafee does on another computer I use. Only files it detected were files I downloaded. Only a couple. If it doesn't pass all hope isn't lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Some computers you press DELETE to enter the set-up screen.

Someone explain how to get into setup mode when the computer starts up, that would be good information to have. I've never had to do this so I can't explain it. :P

As your computer is starting it will flash a message on screen such as "press F2 to enter set-up" with newer computers that boot fast this message flashes real fast, and then it starts windows. It may take a couple boots to push F2 at the right time, and it may not be F2 it might be something like push control button and F2 so look for that message. Be careful to just exit when in setup you should not need to change anything.