Brian

MUST READ for D380 USERS!!!!!!!!!&

I checked 4of my cams 2 370s and 2 380s the 370s hook up with a small board directly under the ext power plug and have 3 wires running from there to the main board directly under where brian solders on the board. Now the 380s are totally differant in that one has the plug soldered directly to the main board, and that little charge circuit is built directly into the main camera board. The other one is like my 370's and has a seperate small board that the plug attaches to then 3 wire down to the main board. On these three cams just using the ext plug as is i get over a month, with 4 nimh rech. in camera and a 5 pack c cell recharables pluged into the ext. I see no need to redo these, but the 380 with the plug directly to the board will barely go a week on 8 d cells pluged in ext. and 4 internal aa's, also as a note this cam will disable the internal batteries when you use the ext. plug. This cam i will difinately add a plug probably in the tripod hole as this looks to be the easiest place and make brians changes.

I checked my cams that I had modified this weekend and all of them are still going strong. The changes on mine are working great so far. some of the ones that I know I would have had to change batteries by now are still taking pictures and are at full battery power.

Two of my D380's I have 6 volt solar panels on as well and of course they are still going strong. I hope to not have to change the battery in these at all. We will see.

Please don't let the color of the wires confuse you guys when you are wiring into the new locations. The pictures provided by you guys should help.

Just to make sure I have this right. To get the extended battery life out of the D370 I solder the external battery wires to the black and grey solder points. Do I have to desolder the three wires for the DC port or is this done only if you are using the DC port as the new battery connection. I guess the questionn I am asking is if I am not using the DC port do I still have to desolder the three wires?

Thanks

Zig I'm not sure that the 370's have the same issue as the 380's for external current consumption and not all 380's either as expalined above.

If not using the externial jack you can just wire directly to the wires indicated by Brian under the yellow epoxy. How do you plan on doing the external hook-up if your not using the external jack?Good Luck

I have drilled out the bi-pod attachment on the bottom of the camera and ran my wires out of there. At the end of these wires I was going to put a female connection to plug my battery pack into. One other question is it better to use 4 C's or 4 D's to run the camera or does it matter?

They both will work fine. The D's should last longer though.

Going from memory so.... I think it was Hags that posted somewhere back 7000ma hrs. for C's and 20,000ma hrs. for the D's almost 3x as long. Zig do yu use the external jack for something else?

Brian,

Do you have any pics or specs on your solar power mods. I would love to do this to mine if it can be done cheaply enough.

I used the 6 volt solar panel from Wal-mart for the Moultrie feeder batteries. Other than that I just tied into the camera battery wires with the solar panel wires where they were both connected. I can then plug a 6 volt rechargeable battery up to them at one time.

No Rico. Before I found out that you cannot use both the internal and the DC port at the same time, I was puting batteries in the camera and using a 4 AA battery pack thru the DC port. I did not realize the camera would not draw power from both. I am in the process of rewiring the D370 as mentioned and I have a D380 that I am building now that I will do the same way. I have a couple more D370's in the woods that I will bring out probably do the same to them.

I thinK I may do like Brian and run a solar pannel to all of mine and just plug it into the dc plug after I make the mod to them and just let the cam run off of the 4 internal batteries.

Brian do you have any pics on your solar power set-up? How it's wired ect..

Another plus for the external mod should be able to use internals with the externals with no ill effects.