Sign in to follow this  
Coondog

Hunting In Wisconsin

I know we have some folks on here from Wisconsin. Someone go wake Hags up!!!!

I might have a chance to go hunting around the Cornell, Wisconsin area this season. Still working out the details but it is looking like its a go. Can anyone give me some information about the area. Is it a pretty good area to hunt?? Would also like to know when you think the best time to head up there is. We should be able to whatever weekend we want to. Pretty excited to get to hunt another state.. Thanks for any info you can provide!!!

Please tell me it ain't so.....Coondog comin' to Wisconsin....ouch.....

Best time--- 2nd week of November

Went to college in Eau Claire back in the 80s and we hunted the area back then...been awhile since I've been up there....Hunting was great...large wood lots with agriculture mixed in....

Hunt the field edges and funnel areas between the thick stuff and food plots....Sit all day and be ready...they'll be movin' all day if you come during the rut...

Oh yeah...bring all the clothes you own...even borrow some if you can.....this ain't Texas and you may even step in some snow.....

good luck....hags

Whoa Dan.... Nobody said ANYTHING about snow!!!! :unsure:

I looked at the deer hunting regs online for WI.. It's like reading a German physics book!!!

It appears that it is in Chippewa County. I didn't really see any special restrictions for the county, but not sure. All I know right now is that it is around 900acres of private land. I am hoping to get the exact location this week so I can look at a map and start planning everything out..

Couple of questions concerning Chippewa County:

1. Is it a one buck county?? Are there any restrictions on the bucks??

2. Can you shoot does?? It looks like you can buy additional doe tags for $2/tag???

3. Can the landowner buy additional tags???

4. Is there only a one week gun season??

5. Are there any pheasants or bears in the area??

5. Does anyone know how much the out-of-state license is? It looks like $160? Is that good for a certain amount of days, or all season??

6. Do the deer have to be checked in at a station before processing?

Thanks..

I'll take a stab at these...

1. Is it a one buck county?? Are there any restrictions on the bucks??

Most of the state allows one gun buck & one bow buck, no antler restrictions. Some counties do have rifle restrictions. You would have to buy 2 licenses to hunt both seasons.

2. Can you shoot does?? It looks like you can buy additional doe tags for $2/tag???

If you can buy the tags you can shoot does, most areas with agriculture have doe tags available.

3. Can the landowner buy additional tags???

They should be able to buy additional doe tags.

4. Is there only a one week gun season??

9 day gun season starts the sat before thanksgiving and ends the following sunday. The 7 day muzzleloader starts the monday after and uses the same license.

5. Are there any pheasants or bears in the area??

Sure, takes about 10 years to get a bear tag and there season is going on right now and will be over before november. There are pheasants here, but this ain't south dakota!

5. Does anyone know how much the out-of-state license is? It looks like $160? Is that good for a certain amount of days, or all season??

160 sounds right - If you buy a license it will be good all season, but the state wide rifle season is only 9 days. There are other seasons in other parts of the state.

6. Do the deer have to be checked in at a station before processing?

Yes, definately.

Good Luck!

Edited by CoyoteBandit

I have not hunted around Cornell but Chippewa County usually holds it own in PY bucks just take buffalo county out of the equation. Our regs are just retarded the deer you can harvest depends on the zone its in. It looks like cornell is in a regular zone which means that you can kill a buck and if they have any extra doe permits for the zone you will hunt in left you can buy one of those for an extra fee. Wisconsin loves fees and taxes (darn liberals). If you come during gun season be prepared you will think you are in the middle of a war. Archery license in most regular zones and you can kill one buck and one doe.

Cool article..

Thanks for the information. Any other advice will be appreciated. I just wanted to make sure that I understood the regulations clearly. I agree, they are very hard to make out.

So, the out-of-state license gets me one buck. And, I can buy an additional doe tag for $2, if any are available? Correct?

Looks like rifle season is really our only option if this all works out. None of us bowhunt much. I could do ML, but not sure anyone else could. Hopefully, since this is private property, we can avoid some of the crowds.

I think I will take Dan's advice and try to hunt the field edges. I know this guy has a good bit of cultivated land. I guess I will try to find a trail to set up on between the woods and the field...

BTW.. Is Cornell in Unit 23?? I am having a hard time figuring it out. If so, it appears that there are still antlerless tags available I believe? Are you limited to one anterless tag per license?

Do you still need to display the tag and the hunters orange on private property??

Edited by Coondog

Cool article..

Thanks for the information. Any other advice will be appreciated. I just wanted to make sure that I understood the regulations clearly. I agree, they are very hard to make out.

They change yearly and even we don't know from year to year.

So, the out-of-state license gets me one buck. And, I can buy an additional doe tag for $2, if any are available? Correct?

Yep on all all these. I would do this by mail A.S.A.P.

Hopefully, since this is private property, we can avoid some of the crowds.

I would ask how many will be hunting this property even relation.

I think I will take Dan's advice and try to hunt the field edges. I know this guy has a good bit of cultivated land. I guess I will try to find a trail to set up on between the woods and the field...

Always a good choice.

BTW.. Is Cornell in Unit 23?? I am having a hard time figuring it out. If so, it appears that there are still antlerless tags available I believe? Are you limited to one anterless tag per license?

I am confused myself, it appears the city is, but it borders on 2 or 3 units, be sure to ask landowner.

Do you still need to display the tag and the hunters orange on private property

Yes, any kind of hunting and hunting anyplace even pheasant hunting requires orange.

Edited by Badgerbuckhunter

Thanks BBH.. This place is around 900acres of private land. It is a friend of mines dads place, so we should be the only ones hunting it (4 of us).. I just got coordinates of the place. As soon as I figure out the boundries I will post it up and see if any of you can provide some guidance. Looks like a good mixture of agricultural fields and woods. Should also be some water on the place I believe..