brl

Wireless Cameras - Xbee

Has anyone looked into xbee for a wireless setup? I don't know if you could make it work with picaxe or not (i've seen alot using arduino) but they can get some very good range ( up to 15 miles) Anyway i thought I would throw this out to you guys that know what you are doing! look pretty neat to me!

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=9086

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=8687

Edited by brl

I haven't tried for myself, but I have read a little over on the Picaxe site. Most seem to be sending data, like temp or the level in a water tank or something. One guy managed to send some small blurry pictures. What are the other guys doing with them???

I found a thread on the aduino site and a guy had a c328 serial camera take a pic and transfer from one xbee/arduino to another xbee/arduino connected to a his laptop. I don't know if he finished it or not?

I have looked into these very extensively and read the entire 300 page manual. It is what I am looking at using at my next go around with the wireless camera. They are not as easy as the simple serial data to use. My first read through the manual pushed me away from using them with my first attempt but since I have had time to research more on these device and bought an entire book written by someone to help decipher the manual. I will probably try them next time. I think the picaxe could probably handle the transfer of picture data but most likely it would take one of the 28 or 40 pin picaxe. I used the propeller processor and was able to get pictures of some deer and elk this year from a C328 and saved them onto SD card. I ran into some issues with the base station that I was trying to build and then got side tracked with another camera. After I get a few builds with this new camera out of the way I plan on giving it another try and starting with the base station.

From my reading...I don't think the Xbee is the way to go when you can do it with a cell phone modem to your email or a server.

The Xbee will always require a base station with a computer to receive the Xbee data.

I thought I would add this here. I have been doing some reading and looking around and found this. I'm sure most of you have seen it but if not maybe it will spark some interest. Once I have picaxe under control I may have to place another order just because I like to abuse myself! Brian

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe210.pdf

He was going to do the Xbee on the Raptor but he found that the WiFi was more reliable under most conditions. There is a place on the board to plug boards in with the Xbee pin configuration. But true Xbee wireless was not implemented on the Raptor.

I have a GPS shield plugged into mine. The Xbee status LEDs flash when the board is talking to the GPS since its plugged into the Xbee headers.