Sign in to follow this  
IroquoisArcher

Bear Rug Suggestions?

Was fortunate to arrow a bear in Maine 3 weeks ago (220# boar), my second and only bears (both archery) and was wondering any suggestions on getting a rug (would hang on the wall) made out of it? Only contacted a "local" taxidermist and was quoted $700.00. I've heard of by the foot pricing (this is a 5 footer) and was wondering if sending it away might be cheaper or if this is the going rate? Any help appreciated as this is a bit steep for me right now but still think a rug mount to be put on the wall would be neat.

Edited by IroquoisArcher

Sounds about the same size i shot in maine 4 yrs ago. Mine cost me $900.I think $700 is very fair if he does good work. MY wife sewed loops onto mine so we could hang it on the wall. If i were to spend that kind of money again i'd go for a half-mount with the bear just standing on a rock ,closed mouth..I'm not into the "snarling " bear poses.

Tim

I forgot to ask which outfitter you went with.Next year will make my 4th Maine outfitter i've hunted with.

Tim

I forgot to ask which outfitter you went with.Next year will make my 4th Maine outfitter i've hunted with.

Tim

Thanks for the reply. We went with Tom Askins ( he is moving to Texas to manage a deer ranch there and his guide service is being taken over by a former guide from there, Chad Deabay) of Oxbow Lodge (www.oxbowlodge.com) in Oxbow, Maine. It was a bit pricey but the lodge was unbelivable! The food was all homemade and was 3X per day and was excellent! If you went away hungry it was your own fault, I gained about 4# there. With the weather being so hot so long the sitings where down. They were still finding grass in the bears stomachs (we were there the third week) and they said this was more what they expect to find in early August. I'm not into the snarling either and not real decided on a half mount. Just a rug and the skull on a shelf I think. Here is the link and how this all started on ArcheryTalk http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.p...maine+bear+hunt . Last couple pages have some pics. of the lodge, some scenery and my bear (well guess you can also see it in my avitar).

Edited by IroquoisArcher