Sign in to follow this  
nickg405

Something For All You Guru's To Ponder On

nov6-92010067.jpg

I know everyone has faced this issue with homebrews or store bought cameras. My question to everyone is there a way to have 2 PIR sensors on each side of the board and be offset 2-5 degrees of each other to help activate the setup a lil faster. In my situation I dont have the abililty to position my camera head on of the deer and the clearing they are walking. So would there be a benefit to doing this to a board or not. Come on everyone put on your thinking caps and get your brain a rolling like mine has been every since I built my first homebrew and if someone figures it out I want the first board and 3.5% of all additional sales you know for coming up with the idea!!!! Oh yeah I hope the image posting works Im a virgin at least kind of stuff so bear with me if not and ill try again.

I will get corrected if this is not right but I think we have at least one member here (maybe more) that have made a homebrew using 3 remote PIRs and a servo mounted camera. Depending on which PIR detects motion, the camera will rotate to that position and take a pic. As motion is detected by the next PIR it will rotate to that position and take the next pic. We have some really smart folks here doing a lot of really neat stuff.

Nick, what you are asking for is quite possible. The simple sniper could be a easy example to daisy chain more than one sensor. if you were to take another unit and take out the picaxe chip and jumper the pin 4 from that board over to the other board either sensor should trigger the sensor (need grounds tied together). The all in one board has extra connections that could be some more PIRs pointed in any direction you would like. Also some of the people have used remote sensors (driveway alert) to help with triggering.

I would recommend the picaxe and a little learning and you will be able to fix this issue. There is a hugh resource on this site.

I already thought of that, bowgod and I talked about it. Two PIR Sensors looking left and right, both wide angle sensors. When they detect motion they turn the camera on. Then a third pir in the middle with a narrow detection so when the animal trips the middle PIR the camera is already on ready to take a pic and fires right away. Would be great for a trail cam. We talked about doing it with the Sony V1 because it is slow and this would make it more like a fast camera. But it could be done with any cam. Just use the PIRs pointing out to trigger and turn on the cam and the middle one to take the pic.

Oh I know that there is a wealth of information on this site I've been lurky in the shadows here for about 2 years. I've just never really posted anything just read alot. It looks like I'm a lil slow to come up with ideas. One more question...picaxe chip? I'm not in here much and they way technology changes and the incredible minds think around here if I miss a month or so I get behind on all the terminology and changes being made.

So I'm a lil slow to figure out some of this stuff. But thanx for all of what y'all do for the dummies like me.

I understand what you are saying in your post but you said, "in my situation I dont have the abililty to position my camera head on of the deer and the clearing they are walking. "

Just out of curiosity...Why not? I guess I am a little confused, but if I understand you correctly, why not build a mounting system so that you can position you camera head on? I had the same problem, made mine out of wood and it worked out great. Just a thought.

Edited by peter

Oh Peter that's the easy way out. You see I'm married and it gives me an excuse to go out and buy more homebrew equipment and discuss the options with y'all.

Oh Peter that's the easy way out. You see I'm married and it gives me an excuse to go out and buy more homebrew equipment and discuss the options with y'all.

:lol::lol: Now thats getting your priority's straight.

Keep in mind you with the three pir systems you also want to keep the middle pir with the ability to turn on the camera and take a picture even if the outside two did not detect the animal. Some animals come straight at the cam and not from the side so you will also need that ability. I like the idea! :)

nickq have you tried the wide angle pir len to see if it will help?

Edited by bat

You could also do this with 2 sensors, one above the other. On one have a really wide angle lens and then the other would be your "center" with the narrower angle.

Gary