mheimburg1

Any Tv Repair Guys Here?

I have been posting on TV repair forums but have received only one reply? The power supply board in picture has a small burnt mark on one of the components. The TV died after resetting a breaker in my living room after my wife was vacuuming and tripped the circuit breaker. She said the TV made a popping sound when I reset breaker and now nothing but a very few hard to notice pixels that randomly light in different colors? I did by repair manual but it is kind of vague. One thing that I notice when plugged in power light comes on and stays on? Below is a pic of power control board, I have high voltage in and out but no low DC voltage out? But I do not know how the power supply board works? I checked four fuses, all were ok. I have the repair manual and it talks about shorting relays on logic board and checking some outputs but I am kind of leery of doing that. Local repair shop wants $50 just to diagnose, so I thought I would just buy a repair manual and give it a whirl, but am not having much luck. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks

post-7140-1297533955_thumb.jpg

We have a tv man on here but it might be more benefit to you to get a local tv guy to check that for you instead of you working on it. A tv can be really dangerour with the high voltage in there.. $50 might be a cheap route for you to take.

Just some $ .02 to share with you.

BTW what kind of tv is it? How new etc.? If our guy answers your post he may need to know this ahead of time.

This is a Magnavox 42MF231D 42-Inch Plasma HDTV, about 6 years old. I was hoping by the symptoms someone might know which board the problem may lie. There are a few of the boards on ebay for $15 to $50 dollars. I am being careful, not touching anything in back. I just do not want to pay the TV guy $50 to tell me $200 hundred to fix. These boards new are quite expensive and I will just replace the set.

Thanks for the reply, more than I have gotten in three different TV forums in two weeks.

Where is Tinhorn when you need him? Aw he probably don't know nuttin' about these HD tv anyway! :P

I'm going to bump this one up. Mine died yesterday too. It's only about a 2 years old.

Vizio model VW37L HDTV40A Just wondering if maybe someone has access to a service manual, schematic or anything on the internet?..... I took the back off thinking it would an envelope in there with a diagram but nothing. Long shot I know but figured I would give it a try.

I'm going to bump this one up. Mine died yesterday too. It's only about a 2 years old.

Vizio model VW37L HDTV40A Just wondering if maybe someone has access to a service manual, schematic or anything on the internet?..... I took the back off thinking it would an envelope in there with a diagram but nothing. Long shot I know but figured I would give it a try.

I bought the repair manual online, do not remember where, just google it. I had a scorch mark on my power supply board and could only check 120 going through but no DC voltage? There was one on ebay for $15 gave it a shot but to no avail still black screen that lights up very few pixels, looks like outerspace but a picture would be better. I posted on three different TV forums but no help. I would settle for someone best guess on what a repair bill might be. My local repair shops want $40 to diagnose and whatever to fix after that. If it is 2 or 3 hundred I will just buy a new set.

Same here, if it's a power supply problem I might be able to fix it. Other than that ...... It was on and all at once it made a lot of static noise in the speakers, the screen flickered a few times and it went off. It will turn on then when the screen starts to get bright it goes back off. No sound or picture. I thought maybe I would see something burt up but I didn't have time to look real good yet.

I AM NOT A TV REPAIR GUY. Does you manual have a schematic that shows what kind of zener diode smoked? my guess is that provides a reference voltage to the board and it got smoked by a voltage spike.

but then again...... i am only guessing.

I AM NOT A TV REPAIR GUY. Does you manual have a schematic that shows what kind of zener diode smoked? my guess is that provides a reference voltage to the board and it got smoked by a voltage spike.

but then again...... i am only guessing.

Hea, it blew when I reset a breaker that tripped while running vacuum cleaner, I replaced that board for $15 but no luck?

Where is Tinhorn when you need him?

did i mention i wasnt a TV repairman?

did i mention i wasnt a TV repairman?

Me neither, but I did stay at a Holiday In last night :D .

Me neither, but I did stay at a Holiday In last night :D .

I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn but I've got my own Ramada Inn... my old beat up camper had an old name Ramada on it... we always called it our Ramada Inn :P

Try this site to see if it will help... I googled it up but familiar with it, just look a bit on it..

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Vizio-VW37L.../3068ag224/t/2/ I did see a operation manual in there but so far no schematic.. if you go in there it shows some help with troubleshooting etc. click on the "see all" for more information.

Edited by bat

Thanks bat, I checked that out but didn't find what I need. Thanks for the link though. If I don't find anything to help troubleshoot with I will pull the boards tomorrow and check on the back sides. I saw the power supplies on the web and they have some components on the back side too and maybe I will see something? It's worth a try. The power supplies range from $35 to $90 from what I see so far. But if I can find a schematic maybe I could fix the one I have. I'll keep looking for a while.