Vic

What Are The Best Laptop To Use

I get asked this a lot and wondered what you are using...................POST AWAY................What are you using for a laptop and why.............. :) :)

I prefer Dell because of the battery life mostly. I used to use HP and they shove so much BS down your throat with free trials and all that. I also didn't like the fact I could not get through a 1 hour class in college without the battery dying in 40 minutes or so. That was with teh power saving setup HP had listed as preset options. Acer was crap with all the trial stuff and battery life as well as pathetic support and recovery options. I own an Dell XPS M1530 dual boot Vista Ultimate/Fedora laptop which is what I am typing this on. At the time it was one of the best Dell had to offer in the Red lineup. I got the g/f an Inspiron and she loves it. It's more than she needs, but you know how women can be with their over the top desires. $ for $ I think Dell is the best all around because of battery life, hardly any trial BS shoved down your throat, American support people mostly, and you can get anything from a simple machine to a performance strong development or gaming system. One thing I dislike about Dell is they rip you off on upgrades when they can get away with it. I bought mine with 1GB of memory and a 120GB HDD because the 4GB was $400 and the 320GB HDD was $250. I bought the 4GB ram and 320GB HDD from newegg.com for a whopping $89 and $120 respectively. I got a cheap rosewill enclosure for the old 120GB and use it for a portable usb external drive.

My last bit of advice. No matter what you buy, look at battery life first. A laptop is meant to be portable.

Basically, my whole house is full of Apple products for computer equipment, so networking between the mrs. & 3 kiddos is seamless. We've tried a large majority of the PC brands throughout the years & it all is outdated and junked. The Macs have worked flawlessly and have the ability to continually update their operating system. As far as laptops, we have both a MacBook & MacBook Pro. It costs a pretty penny, but I'm telling you, these things run like a top. I can't even remember the last time it "crashed" because it never has the last 5 years. Good memory, operating speed, battery life and the quality of the screen images are fantastic. I guess I sound very pro Apple...

Final thoughts, keep in mind wireless functionality, the less cords the better!

I too have a Dell, intended for school purposes. If you go to there website you can customize the laptop to all of your preferences. I went with a Inspiron in 14inch because it was easily portable. I also have the cheap battery (4.5 hours) and it will go for a good few hours. You could upgrade to a 6 or 8 hour one though. I have no complaints what so ever about mine. I spent around 400 I believe, not sure on specs as far as memory or anything probably bare minimum and I still have thousands and thousands of TC pictures/videos.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665. Its an anniversary edition that has the premium sound package, 4G ready, and supposedly an 8 hour battery on echo mode. I really have no complaints with it yet.

I have tried many laptops. In my honest opinion, the best value/quality out there is the Acer.

If you want rugged and built like a tank. Lenovo (IBM) is the only choice IMHO. We use Lenovo desktops\laptops\servers for everything we do at work and have no complaints at all. I have a Lenovo W500 laptop on my desk and it stays on 24/7 on it's docking station and never misses a beat. No heat problems at all.

I also just purchased my parents a new Dell Inspiron 17R. Nice wide 17" screen and all decked out with the latest a greatest. They really like it but built like a tank it's not.

Just my .02 coming from a long time computer tech.

Matt

My wife is using a Sony Vaio running Windows 7, I haven't heard a complaint in the six months shes had it, shes happy, I'm happier....

well, i spend on average close to 10 hours a day on a computer. all laptops, for school (6 hours a day) then add another 4 hours for study *or browsing this forum :happy: * anyway, to the point. it really depends on what you are using it for. for schooling purposes i have a Lenovo X200 Thinkpad, now i wouldnt go for anything else for school. firstly the lenovo (IBM) as mentioned above are bullet proof. i have every part of casing broken from 3 years of abuse through school, the fan makes a serious noise, but! it works still as it did when new. you cant ever kill them, and i easily get through a full day of school one one battery charge (6 hours solid use listening to music/word documents) also another thing i find it amazing to use for education purposes is onenote. now if anyone is familiar with the onenote program, they will understand it is so much easier to use than word, but! the brilliance of the X200 is its a tablet (i.e. you can write on the screen with a special pen thats included - dont loose the pen though, $80 to replace :glare: ) anyways, couple this pen writing ability like normal pen and paper + 6 hour battery life + + bullet proof laptop, I seriously recommend anything by Lenovo ESPECIALLY the X200, its served me well.

But like all teens, i have to have more. just the beginning of this year i have purchased a Macbook Pro 15inch. now everyone goes on about macbook vs pc blah blah. but in order to have a competition between two things, they must be in similar fields yes? well i personally dont think Windows and Mac are. My lenovo runs Windows, the Mac obviously runs the Mac onenote:P but! the lenovo is amazing for everything school like, but the mac leaves it behind in the multimedia side of things. i have found its not as easy to 'play with' settings wise and fiddling with every setting like windows, but for movie making/video editing/music movies and generally anything that is classed as multimedia, you will not find a better laptop than a Macbook Pro. its an astounding machine for that.

All depends on what you want? Multimedia - Mac. Durability/flexibility/compatibility with almost everything - Anything running Windows. :D

- i just realised how old this thread was :| didnt look before posting, my bad guys (i have no idea how it was ontop of my lists D:)

Edited by Jackmdp

I use a HP G72-B66US notebook. I have windows 7 pro on it.

17 in screen and it is fast & does all I want it to.

Edited by MrRee

i have a toshiba and like it. i also have a compaq, and yes they do load them with alot of crap, but that thing has been dropped and thrown and the screen fell off twice and it still works great.

Edited by judger101