encorepistol

Weird Project

Been a long time since I posted in the forum but am in need of some help. Im building an incubator and have a problem I'm sure someone can help me with. I have a motor that will run on as low as 3v dc at a very low rpm but I could live with running it at 6v. To turn the motor on I am going to use a sprinkler timer that puts out 24 volts hence my problem. I have to use 2 stations of the timer to be able to reverse the motor as well. The timer is an orbit 24 volt 4 station timer by the way.How would I drop the voltage from the timer? A guy gave me a plan and has done it but I cant make sense of it using a bridge rectifier and some diodes. I cant get a pic up since its in adobe. Any ideas?

Cool idea using the sprinkler timer to turn your eggs. Check the output of your sprinkler timer. I would almost bet that it outputs 24v AC instead of DC. But, all is not lost. I would suggest getting you a couple of 24v AC relays (or a single, DPDT relay) and let your sprinkler timer toggle power to your relays. then, use a 6v DC power supply (you know, an AC to DC wall transformer) to run through your relay to your motor. You need to know how many amps your motor pulls so you can get an adequately sized power supply.

hope this makes sense.

so what kind of eggs are you trying to incubate?

Just incubate chicken eggs for the most part sometimes quail. I just cant see spending $600 for a cabinet incubator when I can build one for under 200. Could he be using the bridge rectifier to make the 24vac into dc volts? And couldnt a big resistor be used or a pot to slow the motor down?

Ok he is using the bridge rectifier and diodes to convert the timer to be able to be used for dc operation of the motor. Now how would I knock down the 24 volts to say 6 or even 3 volts or how could I build a circuit to slow down the 24 volt motor way down. I need it to turn really slow. 1rpd would be ideal but 1 rpm would be tolerable. The guy who built his used a clutch system and allowed the motor to run fast and just slip when it reached a certain point. I need it to turn relatively slow so the eggs dont get broken and I'll use a limit switch at both positions to stop the turning in either direction. I'm racking my brain and am clueless about electronics :wacko: :wacko:

open the file on your computer, then press the alt+print screen. This will copy the active window to the clipboard, then you can paste it in paint, save it as a .jgp then upload it here.

I never knew how to do that before now!!! Ok here are the parts he used and a simple wiring instruction.

post-122-1297822929_thumb.jpg

post-122-1297822949_thumb.jpg

I simply do not have any experience with the rectifier diodes. the wee little bit of electronic knowledge I have is on dc circuits. as far as running the motor to turn the incubator trays, it is easy to get a step down voltage regulator to get your desired voltage. However, you will need to know how many amps your motor (and what it is connected to) will draw because the regulators come in different "sizes".

how many trays were going to be in your incubator? do you have any pictures or drawings of what this thing is going to look like? and when you turn the tray(s), can it just flop from one side to the next or does it need to slowly glide over a period of time?

really neat project. i may try to build one of these things myself.

Edited by hunt4it44

It needs to turn fairly slow so the eggs arent flopped around too hard. The motors Ive looked at only draw ma in the 150-180 range. Im taking pictures along the way and have the cabinet partly put together and all the pieces cut. Ive got to seal the inside pieces befor I finish putting it the rest of the way together. It will have 3 turning racks that should hold aroumd 300 chicken eggs. Im kinda designing as I go and taking notes and pictures. I frequent the backyardchickens.com forums where I got the basic idea and searching the net to come up with what I wanted. I started to model it after a gqf sportsman but changed a few things I feel could make it better for me. Ill deffinately keep posted on progress. I need to choose the motor and get it ordered along with a few different parts.

sorry I am not more help. you might take a look at Jameco or Digikey. they have dc geared motors that run as low as 1/2 RPM. but even then, i guess you would need to gear it down some.

if you really wanted to impress your neighbors, come up with a paddle wheel and use your sprinkler timer to turn on a spigot that was directed over the paddles and have it turn a shaft that would turn the wheel and thus the trays. then have another spigot on the other side of the paddle wheel to rotate in the opposite direction. all your Bohemian friends would be impressed and you wouldnt have to worry about ac to dc, step down voltage and motors :)