bigbassmann

Picaxe 14m Slave Controller

That is strange, it will Syntax fine for me when set to the 14M2 chip.

20 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

That is strange, it will Syntax fine for me when set to the 14M2 chip.

That is weird. Maybe it's the editor version I have. I was reading on the picaxe site and understand it to say the code should work for either chip but it sure doesn't want to syntax on mine when set for the m2.

I messed with this thing all weekend. Even Jim spent some time on the code but I am still unable to get it to fire the flash. I tried it with a p32 and a p41 as well as the W50 and get nothing.

I changed PT's, CDs, mcr and the moc3023 with new ones but no change.

Only one thing I'm questioning at this point,  I'm getting 17v at idle on pin 6 of the 3023. That doesn't seem right.

Can't seem to find any info but I'm almost 100% positive the W50/30/55 are all 2 flash cams so the code posted should work.

At a loss at this point so not sure what to try.

The problem has to be in the interrupt portion of the code I sent you.....we will play with it some more .....don't give up on this yet...

On 4/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Firemanjim said:

The problem has to be in the interrupt portion of the code I sent you.....we will play with it some more .....don't give up on this yet...

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I think so as well. I got your message and reloaded it and let it run today in a closet.

Been super busy today with truck, smog, licensing bs so couldn't play much.

It did everything it is supposed to, blinks at start up until timer checks the CDS, its dark (in closet) it charged the flash. I trip the cam but no trigger still.

I can still manually trigger the slave using the plug on my board so it's good.

Also, did a voltage check after the slave charged and I have 68 volts on pin 6 of the 3023 and 65volts at leg 3 (A) on the scr so it looks as though everything is working to that point.

It makes me wonder if it has something to do with how the interrupt goes on and then it  applies the voltage thru R9 to the 3023, then thru the next resistor to the triac. I havent been able to read any voltage at the plug I have installed from the legs of the scr. I assume it won't until the interrupt tells it to trigger. But why the high voltage at the 3023 and scr...? Unless it's waiting for the trigger signal.

Getting myself confused as to how this code is operating it.

You watch, it is going to be something stupid simple...

EDIT: Here is some close ups of my board, I did top and bottom and labeled it so maybe if something is wrong someone will see something I'm not seeing, even though I have went over it many many times.

14m slave controller Top.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

14m slave controller Bottom.jpg

Is the 3023 in correct and how about just doing a simple program with another chip to just turn on the camera and take picture and turn back off, that way you can at least check your board and connections.

1 hour ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

Is the 3023 in correct and how about just doing a simple program with another chip to just turn on the camera and take picture and turn back off, that way you can at least check your board and connections.

Hi John, hope all is well in your neck of the woods....

Yep, moc is in correct. This board is just a slave board, no connection to the cam other than the PT seeing the flash from the cam.

Not sure if we could just run a test code only using the PT output, that might be something to try I guess. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to code it that way though.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Firemanjim said:

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I think so as well. I got your message and reloaded it and let it run today in a closet.

Been super busy today with truck, smog, licensing bs so couldn't play much.

It did everything it is supposed to, blinks at start up until timer checks the CDS, its dark (in closet) it charged the flash. I trip the cam but no trigger still.

I can still manually trigger the slave using the plug on my board so it's good.

Also, did a voltage check after the slave charged and I have 68 volts on pin 6 of the 3023 and 65volts at leg 3 (A) on the triac so it looks as though everything is working to that point.

It makes me wonder if it has something to do with how the interrupt goes on and then it  applies the voltage thru R9 to the 3023, then thru the next resistor to the triac. I havent been able to read any voltage at the plug I have installed from the legs of the triac. I assume it won't until the interrupt tells it to trigger. But why the high voltage at the 3023 and triac...? Unless it's waiting for the trigger signal.

Getting myself confused as to how this code is operating it.

You watch, it is going to be something stupid simple...

Ok, swapped out the scr (mcr22-6) with 3 others randomly pulled off the string of new ones i have and it's still the same so they are working.

I ordered some different PT's as well to try something different.

Anyone have any spare 14m's they want to part with? I have some 14m2's.

Edited by bulltalk.65

Ok, found a 14m chip and downloaded original code and ran it.

No go...

So, I did some revamping of the code, changed timings and settings and still nothing.

I have come to the conclusion that it may have something to do with the scr and pt combo.

So I ordered some mcr 100-6 to try instead of the mcr22-6 and some different triacs and PT's to try. Will update once the stuff gets here.

Edited by bulltalk.65

I need to see if I still have one of my old original slave control boards around and try it with a 14M Picaxe chip and the code and see what happens. Like I said, it has been a long time since I have messed with this so I can't remember much about how it was performing.

10 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

I need to see if I still have one of my old original slave control boards around and try it with a 14M Picaxe chip and the code and see what happens. Like I said, it has been a long time since I have messed with this so I can't remember much about how it was performing.

That would be great. It says in the first post it worked real good so I figured I'd build it...lol

It's simple enough and looking through all of it, it seems it should work .

Will keep messing with it though, would be neat to get it working...😉

Just reading through this and maybe you tried it and I missed it but have you tried swapping the trigger wires at the board?

I found one of my old boards and did a preliminary test with it using the code for the 16F688 microchip just to confirm the board was working and it is. I then swapped to the Picaxe 14M chip with the posted code and that is working also with the little bit of testing I have had time to do. When I get a chance I will check all the resistor values and other parts to see if I have something that is different other than what was posted in the drawing but  I am pretty sure the mcr is correct and I know for sure the MOC3023 is the same.   

I checked the board I have and the resistor at the PT is a 10K, not 100k as indicated in the drawing. Seems I remember having to test different resistor values to get it to work consistently and the 10K is what I came up with. You should also change C1 to a 33uf to stabilize voltage to the Picaxe, you will get resets sometimes when the slave fires when using the smaller capacitor listed in the drawing.  All other parts are the same as in the drawing. I tested about 25 - 30 flashes using a S40 with and without the AF illuminator at distances of 1 foot out to 10 feet  and it worked each time as long as I gave the slave about 12-15 seconds to recharge between pics. It probably would have fired sooner if I had new C cell batteries powering the board and slave (Vivitar 3700).

Edited by bigbassmann