bigbassmann

Picaxe 14m Slave Controller

23 hours ago, johnnydeerhunter said:

Just reading through this and maybe you tried it and I missed it but have you tried swapping the trigger wires at the board?

Yep, tried that as well. . ūüėČ

11 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

I checked the board I have and the resistor at the PT is a 10K, not 100k as indicated in the drawing. Seems I remember having to test different resistor values to get it to work consistently and the 10K is what I came up with. You should also change C1 to a 33uf to stabilize voltage to the Picaxe, you will get resets sometimes when the slave fires when using the smaller capacitor listed in the drawing.  All other parts are the same as in the drawing. I tested about 25 - 30 flashes using a S40 with and without the AF illuminator at distances of 1 foot out to 10 feet  and it worked each time as long as I gave the slave about 12-15 seconds to recharge between pics. It probably would have fired sooner if I had new C cell batteries powering the board and slave (Vivitar 3700).

Thanks Ralph for checking all that.

I swapped the 33k (r5) for the 10k and swapped the picaxe cap to a 33uf plugged it all back in and still no fire.

It is definitely running thru the code. The only part I have on board that may be different is my PT, it is an LTR - 301-002

Checked all the wiring and the solder points and everything is solid and connected right so not sure what the issue is with it.

As mentioned earlier, with CDs covered and board powered up, it charges and if I unplug the trigger plug and plug it back in it fires the slave.

Im about done messing with it., it is obvious the circuit is working and the code is working but for some reason either the pt is not seeing the cameras flash or the whole batch of pt's I have are junk...lol

I have this setup inside the cam build so the pt is under the cams flash so there is no way possible its not seeing the cam flash.

Can you post pics of the board with both sides you made?

Edited by bulltalk.65

Not sure if these photos will help you at all but here they are.

DSC00424 (800x600) DSC00425 (800x600)

Edited by bigbassmann

13 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

Not sure if these photos will help you at all but here they are.

DSC00424 (800x600) DSC00425 (800x600)

Thanks Ralph, gives me a look at hookups.

I had thought for awhile the problem may have been around the 3023 and scr connections and after looking at your pic and going back over the datasheet for both those parts, I may have the scr connected incorrectly but looking at the image in the datasheet vs the schematic, I am unsure so I mocked your pic to see if you can tell me which pins are connected to what.. I have (my board) pin 6 of 3023 to a 100R resistor to pin 3 (anode) on the scr then pin 4 of the 3023 going to pin 2 (gate) of the scr.  Then from pin 3 (anode-scr) to trigger + and then pin 1 (cathode-scr) going to trigger -. It looks like (hard to see on your board) you have pin 6 of 3023 going thru the resistor to pin 3 scr (anode) then to trigger + and then pin 4 of 3023 going to pin 1 of the scr (cathode) to trigger - so where is pin 2 of the scr connected at on yours? or maybe you can clarify how yours is connected because it doesn't look the same as how the schematic is.  

I received my new PT's in the mail yesterday and installed one, also replaced the 33k (r5) with the 10k you mentioned. Then I fired up the board and  now when I hold the pt to the cam flash, the led on my board comes on and goes into a flickering state for about 1-1/2 seconds then goes off but it still does not trigger the slave. I swapped the 10k out and went to the highest listed on the schematic (33k to 100k) and now when fire it up the led doesn't do anything so I worked my way back down to the 10k and went lower to a 5k but get no led flicker there. So I switched back to a 33k and get the flickering when I manually flash the cam with the pt against it.

So, it got me looking at the scr/3023 connections. 

scr connections 1.jpg

scr pinout 1.jpg

my board wiring.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

<quote> It looks like (hard to see on your board) you have pin 6 of 3023 going thru the resistor to pin 3 scr (anode) then to trigger + </quote>

That is correct, you should change yours so pin 6 of 3023 is going through the resistor and then the resistor to leg 3 of the scr and then to trigger + and I think you will be golden. All the rest of your pins on the scr and 3023 are correct, I have pin 2 of the scr (gate) going to pin 4 of 3023 and that is it, same as yours. Pin 1 of the scr goes to trigger negative.

You should be good with the 33K for the PT but if not try the 10K again.

Edited by bigbassmann

Just now, bigbassmann said:

<quote> It looks like (hard to see on your board) you have pin 6 of 3023 going thru the resistor to pin 3 scr (anode) then to trigger + </quote>

That is correct, you should change yours so pin 6 of 3023 is going through the resistor and then the resistor to leg 3 of the scr and then to trigger + and I think you will be golden. All the rest of your pins on the scr and 3023 are correct, I have pin 2 of the scr (gate) going to pin 4 of 3023 and that is it, same as yours. Pin 1 of the scr goes to trigger negative.

Well darn, That is how I have it Ralph,  so the connections are correct already, pin 6 to 100R to trigger +, pin 4 to gate on scr and pin 1 on the scr to trigger neg... Not sure what the issue is with it then. I tried it with a p32 and 41 today and no trigger with them either, I worked down from 100k at R5 to a 5k and settled back to a 33k. Went over every pin on the 14m to all connections and all are solid (used my meter as well to check open circuit) so I have no clue...lol.... All the parts are the same including the new PT, I tested the SCR, Moc3023 and RFD14N05L and everything is working good and correctly.

So, I really have no clue..... When turned on, I'll get 2 quick flashes on the LED, then it takes approx 5 to 6 seconds and the slave is charged, It will trigger every time when I unplug the Trigger plug and plug it back in on the board but the cam just wont fire it on its own.... 

Have you ever felt like you were pulling your hair out with needle nose pliers for no reason?....lol

Sounds like you are missing connecting 100R to leg 3 of the scr.

Connect leg 6 of 3023 to one side of the resistor, the other leg of the resistor goes to leg 3 of the scr and then from leg 3 of the scr to trigger +

Well, I just went back and looked at the pics of your board and does look like you have it connected properly. I don't know what is going on but it has to be something simple.

Have you tried swapping out the 3023? I have had a few over the years fail and the slave would not fire.

13 minutes ago, bigbassmann said:

Have you tried swapping out the 3023? I have had a few over the years fail and the slave would not fire.

Yeah, I swapped it with another but I guess it's possible to have burned them unplugging the trigger plug. I'll try swapping it out for another and see what happens.

I was looking at the code again and realized the pins aren't set in the beginning so thought adding that might do the trick but I can only set outputs 0 thru 5, nothing else will syntax.

Do you have the pins set any certain way that's not in the posted code? I read something saying any unused pins need to be set low but It won't let me. Just gives me errors.

Think I'm done for today though.. any other ideas you can think of ?

I was pretty sure I just copied and pasted the code on page 1 of this thread when I tested it the other day so to confirm that I just did it again and I got the same results. I fired 6 pics with a Sony S40, waiting about 15 seconds between shots, and the slave flash fired each time at various distances from the PT. No modification to the code, downloaded just as it is on page 1.

1 hour ago, bigbassmann said:

I was pretty sure I just copied and pasted the code on page 1 of this thread when I tested it the other day so to confirm that I just did it again and I got the same results. I fired 6 pics with a Sony S40, waiting about 15 seconds between shots, and the slave flash fired each time at various distances from the PT. No modification to the code, downloaded just as it is on page 1.

Ok, just figured I'd ask. Looking for every possible area for issues.

You have any of those old boards available?  

12 hours ago, bulltalk.65 said:

Ok, just figured I'd ask. Looking for every possible area for issues.

You have any of those old boards available?  

Sorry, those have been gone for quite awhile. I found the one I have been doing the testing with stashed away in a box on my workbench.