Sign in to follow this  
Pinch

P90x

I wanted to wait till I got a little bit into this program for making a comment on it.

My wife and I decied to give this a shot this year and started it on January 15. I will say that I was skeptical of it because it was an infomercial but it look like it was going to be challenging so we picked up a used copy of the program on ebay for $50. There were a few things we had to buy to get started. I already had the dumbbells, resistants bands and pull up bar so our initial investment was minimal. For most people these things would add up fast but if you compare it to the cost of a gym membership it would pay for itself quick.

The program comes with a nutrition guide, fitness guide and 12 workout DVD's.

Like the workout program the diet guide is broke down into phases and I made the mistake of miscalculating my calorie inake the first week. So I started the workouts and found that I had no energy and I had to increase the amount I ate.

At the beginning of the program I felt that I was in decent shape but had started to gain some weight in the midsection (us WI boys like our beer :cheers:) so I was not overly concerned about it being difficult I was just hoping it would keep me motivated. I was very wrong, After the first couple workouts I found out I was not in very good shape as far as this is concerned and it kicked my butt. I have not felt muscle soreness like that since Army basic training. Three days a week you will follow up your hour long workout with the 15 minute ab ripper workout which is brutal the first couple weeks. Most of the workouts are about 1 hour long and you are working the entire time. My wife did not workout like me prior to this and she was having a tough time with it at first because she was just run down and actualy gaining weight which I am sure was her just building muscle since after the first month she was up 5 lbs in weight but had lost several inches. Another thing I think she did and to caution against was she was not eating enough this will make your body go into starvation mode and store fat.

I have been very impressed with the results. Before I began I could only do about 7 pull ups and now in week 6 I am up to about 25. I started weighing in at 216lbs and I am down to 201 now and my abs are starting to peak through. They have you write down everything you do to compare to the next week so you can see the improvement and keep pushing yourself. The videos are not nearly as annoying as I figured they would be either. They do a good job of getting people through the workouts and telling them to take breaks if needed.

The hardest part of the program has been sticking to the diet. I am very sick of chicken and I cant wait for it to warm up so I can grill some venison. But after working out so hard and staying committed to them it makes it even tougher to eat crap. We did have two cheat days so far and those were when the Pack won the Super Bowl that was worth it! and valentines day dinner. Both of those days we both got sick so I am assuming our bodies have adapted to the new diet.

If any of you have thought about doing this just make sure your going to commit to the entire program before you start. Once you get through the first few weeks then you will find yourself feeling guilty if you even think about missing a workout or eating a box of fries.

If any of you are thinking about doing this and have any questions feel free to post or send me a PM.

Edited by Pinch

Thanks for the update, I have been very tempted to try this. I'm getting tired of the treadmill and weights every morning and would like to shock my system a bit.

I know a handful of people who have tried it. You get out of it what you put into it. No doubt that you will lose weight and gain strength if you stick with it. But, you MUST also stick to the diet plan!!

I know a handful of people who have tried it. You get out of it what you put into it. No doubt that you will lose weight and gain strength if you stick with it. But, you MUST also stick to the diet plan!!

No doubt! you will loose weight and get in better shape just doing the workouts but you wont make the big gains unless you stick to the diet.

I think there are alot of people that dont do the diet and get frustrated because they work so hard and dont see the results and then they quit.

That is why most of them on ebay are like new.

How did this end up working for you? I keep forgetting to ask you on the phone.

Sorry I am a few months late responding been busy hunting and didnt notice it.

It went great I finished it and I think the total lost was around 30lbs but dont remember exactly. After I finished I designed a heavy weight lifting program based on their program layout and about 1 month into that I tore a muscle in my shoulder and it took about 3 months to fully recover to where I could workout hard again then it was hunting season so I put back on about 15 lbs but no worries it starts again next week (as soon as I recover from my trip to Lambeau Field this weekend). GO PACK GO!!

Got mine yesterday and will be starting on Monday!

Starting the second week - this is a great work-out! At least this week I can move my arms and legs again without significant weeping.