BowmanPa

Ir P52 Issues

I put my first Salve flash build out last weekend and pulled it today. Have some pics but then have alot of almost black pics. What it looks like to me is the camera is taking pics in between the salve flash charge. I get a good pic with the slave flash then I get 2 or 3 pics with out the SF and I get a good pic so no so on. The batteries in the SF were no but they were a cheaper battery could that be doing it?

Here are a couple pics:

post-5903-1299350971_thumb.jpg

post-5903-1299350997_thumb.jpg

post-5903-1299351016_thumb.jpg

post-5903-1299351033_thumb.jpg

When my batteries get weak mine will only take every other pic with the slave.

May batteries showed they were still charged up. It would take 1 pic then a few dark ones. What can I change the camera delay to to try to get it firing off with the SF?

What delay are you using?

What ever Gary has programmed into the chip.

Did you test the slave before putting it in the build to see how fast the capacitor would recharge between triggers? I haven't used one of Gary's boards but I don't think the delay time would be the problem here. Could be weak batteries to the slave or a problem with the charging circuit, perhaps the cap itself. I have a slave on my breadboard that I have been using for testing and even with a supply voltage of 4.70 to the slave it will still recharge in about 12-15 seconds.

Edited by bigbassmann

Did you test the slave before putting it in the build to see how fast the capacitor would recharge between triggers? I haven't used one of Gary's boards but I don't think the delay time would be the problem here. Could be weak batteries to the slave or a problem with the charging circuit, perhaps the cap itself. I have a slave on my breadboard that I have been using for testing and even with a supply voltage of 4.70 to the slave it will still recharge in about 12-15 seconds.

I'll have to test it.

It looks like to me from the pics that the salve isn't firing at all - that light looks like what the P52 on board flash will produce all by itself....here is a pic with a P52 and a Viv28k firing

DSC00041.jpg

I know it is always hard to tell from pics alone, but my guess is that the slave isn't firing - as for the intermittent "black pics" - that would be little more difficult to explain - perhaps the on board flash is going bad and missing the flash point - I doubt it is the batteries but it could be...

Sorry not much help I guess, but I don't think that the slave is firing...I would expect much more light.

Joe

Joe,

Where I mounted the camera I did not catch that how it was on the tree it was angled down that is why it does not look like the SF was firing. The flash is the SF because I do not have a flash holw for the camera.

I just did a test andat start up it does the fast blinks then charges the cap up. I then fire the flash on the camera and trigger the SF it then does one solid green led for about 2 seconds and goes to the slow blinks like it is ready. I then fire the camera again and nothing only the one solid led for about 2 seconds then the solw blinks. I trigger the camera and the SM goes to the solid green led for about 22 seconds with out firing the SF. SF will fire then while the solid green led is present but will not fire on the slow blinks. I have no idea what is going on. GRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE! :angry:

Anyone have any Idea what is going on?

what type of flash is this

if you can hear the capacitor charging and the board is sensing the flash - it sounds like the trigger - by chance to get those wires "crossed" - are all the solder points solid - did this slave ever "POP" due to a short/ground out - could be the bulb too

again I know I am not providing many answers but it sounds to me as "the juice" isn't getting to the bulb could be many things including the board mod -

Joe

what type of flash is this

if you can hear the capacitor charging and the board is sensing the flash - it sounds like the trigger - by chance to get those wires "crossed" - are all the solder points solid - did this slave ever "POP" due to a short/ground out - could be the bulb too

again I know I am not providing many answers but it sounds to me as "the juice" isn't getting to the bulb could be many things including the board mod -

Joe

It is a 2800 and with my hearing I can not here the cap charging. I know the wires kept coming off so when I resoldered them I put a little goop on them all. Same as on the SM when I was doing the layout the wires would break off the board due to me moving the wires around.

I have never had a short on this board or a POP. I am getting very ticked off at this set up and thinking about not doing another IR SF build just and just stay with color.

The setup is a P52 with a SM and 2800 with SS board.

I bet the slavemaster is reseting each time the flash goes off. Try this, sit the camera in a dark room and let it set about 5 minutes and trigger it, I assume it will flash correctly then. Leave the room for about 5 minutes and then go back and I bet it fires right away.

I suspect either the voltage to the board is dipping on the flash causing a reset or there is too much interference from the flash bulb/cap when it fires causing the slavemaster to reset. Post some pics of the slave and how it's layed out.

Mike

Edited by Dakota