Sign in to follow this  
tbass

Daily Calorie Requirement

I had to see a nutritionist, who did a poor job I think, and she told me how many carbs to eat based on a very generic 2000 calorie system. I know when I was lifting weights, jogging, and swimming pretty heavy about 11 years ago I was on an 8000 calorie a day diet, working 12 hour shifts, and still losing weight. I went on a hunt to figure out how many calories I need to stay the same, so I knew how much to cut out to lose. I found this web site, and while I can't say they are 100% right or wrong, I think it is a good reference and wanted to share.

http://calculators.hpathy.com/calories-need.asp

There are a thousand calculators out there. Most of which will get you pretty close. The only way to truly find out what your basal metabolic rate is a BMR Test usually performed at a hospital. Although, there are some new clinics popping up saying that they can now calculate it based on breath test. No idea how or if that works. I used a calculator and then just started trying out different caloric intakes over a period of time. I track my workouts and weight loss, so it was fairly easy to calculate everything over a period of time, but it did take a little while. I try to keep my daily intake to 1500cals or less, and my weekly average under 18,000cals. This has worked pretty well for me along with about 3 workouts per week.

Wow, a person really has to watch what he eats to stay within what that calculator says!

Quite right. I try to limit my carbs anyhow. I'm a red meat kinda guy.

Wow, a person really has to watch what he eats to stay within what that calculator says!

That's the whole point of it. It really all boils down to calories in/calories out. But, you also have to watch where the calories are coming from. For me, it is unrealistic to cut out carbs completely (Atkins diet). I just cut back as much as I can and try to eat nothing but whole wheat/whole grain when I do eat bread/pasta. I have really tried to decrease the carbs and increase the protein intake..

I was shocked at how many servings of carbs you get with a typical bowl of cereal with a banana in it. Most of us pour at least 2 servings of cereal in a single bowl. Then I'm told a banana is two servings of carbs by itself.

Well.. You also have to distinguish between "good" carbs and "bad" carbs.. Fruits, legumes, vegetables, whole grain bread/pasta are all "good" carbs.. All of your refined products (sodas, sugar, white flour, etc..) are bad carbs. So, you still want to watch your total carb intake, but try to get at least half or more of your total carb intake from the good list. If you look, all fruits are high in carbohydrates. But they are good carbs and are still a much better alternative than sodas and refined/processed foods.. Not to mention the vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. you get from them...