I'm one of the crowd now, I got my first computer virus a few days ago. When I searched the net and clicked on a link, I would be redirected, many times, to unwanted places. I tried all I could find, and was close to re-formatting my hard drive, but...Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and AVG took care of it for me :)

Well that's good news. I always downloaded the removal tools when my computer asked me too. I never had to use it but glad to know that they work. Thanks for the update.

Oh, I see it didn't work. I usually get frustrated and do a full install and deal with my loses.

Edited by steve

Go to safe mode and run your virus scans and any other you have.

you can always go back and do a system restore to a previous date and it will be gone , just remember any programs you may have installed after the date you choose will be gone .

I would download and run malwarebytes if that doesnt get it super antispyware.

Systems i have cleaned, these have helped the most

My daughters computer had one a couple weeks ago. It was called Windows Internet Security 2011. Would start a fake scan for a virus then try to get you to buy virus protection. When I tried to open a site it would go to a different one and would not let me download anything to fix it or update any virus protection or windows. It took me 3 days to get that fixed. I gave up and saved all her files, pics, music, videos, documents...... then just cleaned and reloaded the programs. Put all her stuff back and installed a new virus protection software. It's been working good for 2 to 3 weeks now. I tried everything I could to clean and fix it without reformatting but in the end it was all I could do. Good luck, hope you can fix it without too much trouble.

Ever hear the commercials on the radio (or tv) for either MyCleanPC or else DoubleMySpeed? When you let them do a scan they come up with 300-500 trojans, infections, etc. that no other antivirus has found?? When you go to their site to get the $14.97 version it automatically checks the other boxes so you are charged $84.90. Did that and immediately called back to void it. Told it was charged to my card and they had to process the order anyways (the charge is automatically done immediately and unable to void even if you call back within a few minutes and then couldn't actually find out if done till your next credit statement). I've now heard stories about it now being on your system and even if go to add/remove programs you are unable to. Anyone know anything about this? Just got their cd in the mail yesterday and the service rep. said to open it and I'll find a return postage paid label. Figure once opened they'll get you with a "since you opened it...). Just wondering.

People like that make it harder for honest people to compete.

On my issue, the redirect, I tried all I cared to, then formatted and re-installed XP...twice. You would think that would fix it..right. Nope!

Pretty sure my router got hacked, and it was not in my computer at all! I reset it and it looks like it's fixed...we'll see.

What type of format did you do?Low level that writes all 1's and 0's like a new drive.Don't do a quick format.

People like that make it harder for honest people to compete.

On my issue, the redirect, I tried all I cared to, then formatted and re-installed XP...twice. You would think that would fix it..right. Nope!

Pretty sure my router got hacked, and it was not in my computer at all! I reset it and it looks like it's fixed...we'll see.

Deleted the partition and did the real format. Just finishing all the updates now, wish you didn't have to babysit the thing to get it done. Before I reset the router I plugged the internet wire directly into the computer and it worked just like it was supposed to, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though.

Deleted the partition and did the real format. Just finishing all the updates now, wish you didn't have to babysit the thing to get it done. Before I reset the router I plugged the internet wire directly into the computer and it worked just like it was supposed to, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though.

That's pretty much what I had to do to my daughters computer. I tried to reformat the "C" and leave the "D" but the virus must have been on "D" too. I saved all her pictures, videos, documents and stuff to a external hard drive. Reformatted and partitioned the hard drive then reloaded Windows ...... Yep, it takes a long time. I thought it was fixed a couple of times but it kept coming back until I reformatted the whole drive.