Sign in to follow this  
Michaux Fur

Concrete Floor Epoxy

While waiting for my concrete shop floor to cure, I'm researching floor epoxy brands.

Anyone ever use the Lowe's $73 Quikrete system?

Which brand did you use?

How long has it been in use?

What would you recommend using?

Pictures are welcome, as well as any other tips and info! Thanks!

I have done a few floors with the stuff at lowes and also with the sherwin williams brand. The biggest things to make sure of is that the concrete is not sealed. If so you want to etch it. It sounds like yours is new so you dont have to degrease it. I recommend putting on the clear coat after the paint/chips for more protection.

If you had your concrete sealed forget about epoxy, it will not stick, even with an etching. We have one at work that is very expensive and takes about 10 steps to get it down and have not been impressed/pleased. I think Home Depot has one (Behr ?) had a friend use it and had far less success than I have w/mine. From what I have seen over the years you want one that is a 2 part epoxy. I have used this stuff made by Rust-Oleum and for the money it has done very well for me. http://www.menards.com/main/paint/paint/in...3030-c-8022.htm All the projects I have done over the years this is by far the one that has gotten and still gets the most comments. It has a strong chemical/paint type smell for about a week until cured. Don't park your car on it for at least 3 months the heat from the tires will soften it and pull it off. Some things will discolor it if left on it. Holds up very very well to foot traffic. If you park a motorcycle with a kickstand put a piece for cardboard under it. Things like 20lb LP tanks can scratch or chip if dropped on it. Get the lighter colored Epoxy, it will not darken your garage and show less discoloration with stains and if chipped. You can buy small repair cans to repair. When you have to redo it use an angle grinder w/flap disc works very well, I also recommend doing this first before etching. With a little care you can get 8-10 years before redoing.

I just bought the stuff from Lowes on a really good sale about 2 weeks ago. Judging by your name and that it says you are in PA... I think you are local to me. Check the Lowes in Shippensburg and it may still be on sale. My buddy used the stuff and really liked it. He followed the directions exactly. I know another guy who used it and he complained a lot. Not sure if he followed the directions exactly though.

Close enough. I am nearer Chambersburg Lowes, to narrow it down. Their price was $73 for a 250 sq.ft. kit. I would need 3 kits. Not bad. Do you have pictures of it applied?

How about UCoat It brand? I haven't seen a website more thorough on their product as them, and I've had quite a few people point me in their direction.

I just ordered the epoxy yesterday. I need to clean and etch the pad and I hope to have pics up soon.

Finally got the floor done. I ordered from UCoatit.com. They and their customers touted Durability, No Hot Tire Lift, Impervious to Chemicals, and Lifetime Warranty. It cost me $400 for 24' x 32' coverage. Too early to give a testimonial but so far, I'm happy. I will put her to the test soon.

Wild to watch your floors sizzle and smoke under the acid etching. I waited for weeks due to hot and humid weather (which limits the epoxy pot life), 2 weeks of heavy rain, and then we jumped straight into colder temps (they recommend application around 68 degress F). But it's finally down.

Looking back, I should have ordered an extra gallon (started running thin). And I wish I would have filled the 1/16th cracks with filler.

Plain Beige color to reflect more light. No "Fleks" as I didn't want to be searching for small dropped items amongst decorative paint chips. No Gloss Coat either. Grit applied at doors for traction, otherwise smooth finish.

ShopFloor3.jpg

ShopFloor4.jpg

ShopFloor2.jpg

ShopFloor.jpg

Wow, that turned out great, I went the cheap route with a brand from Home depot and it looks pretty bad after a few years, should have spent more money on it like you did.

Looks very nice. You will like the color choice. Don't believe the hot tire claim, one of 2 things will happen, it will lift it off the floor or will leave tire tread marks. Let it cure for at least a month before driving/parking on it, with the cooler weather coming up it will help alot. Don't drop brake fluid on it either. I have not had a problem finding things on the floor with the colored flex on it. It does a couple things for you, it gives the floor texture which is very eye appealing, gives a little traction, and most important as the floor gets banged up over the years it will hide a lot of boo boo's. Out of all the things I have done over the years this will score the most man points on the man card with everyone, you will be very pleased with it.

Yes I forgot, when mine is wet, it is slick, and I have the flakes, everyone has learned now to take small baby steps when it is wet, except the dog, he plants his face into about once a day.