TCSCOUT

Anyone Take Or Ever Taken Niaspan For Cholesterol?

I read some negative stuff about Niaspan on the Internet and didn't want to take it. The Doctor finally talked me into trying it. Defiantly having some negative side effects from it, hoping they will go away after taking it for a while. I'm just not sure the benefit is worth the problems it's giving me? I'm going to talk to the doc about it next month, just wondering if anyone else has taken it. If you don't want to post you can just PM me if you like.

Edited by TCSCOUT

I take it. I take it you're having some of the side effects? On average I experience some of the side effect from taking this drug about one a week. All of a sudden my skin will feel like it it on fire. My face turns red and my skin feels like it's tingling all over like it would if you had a really bad sunburn. This will last for 5-10 minutes usually then go away. I go back to my doc on the 18th and was going to ask if there was something else I could try. Lik I said, I don't experience this ever day but it's very annoying to say the least.

I had no idea what I was swallowing every day, so I went and looked just now. Not Niaspan, I have Simvastatin. I have been having aches and pains, and thought I was just getting old, maybe it's the drugs. What problems are you having TC???

I have been having the same exact thing as Matt plus I have been getting a lot of muscle cramps and joint pain off and on. Seems like anywhere from 2 to 5 hours after taking the pill my face get hot and prickly, like a bad sunburn. Mine seems to last longer than Matt it's usually 1/2 to 1 hour long. I'm only taking 500 mg right now and if I can handle that he wants to slowly increase it. I just wonder if it's worth it.

I take Lipitor too. My bad cholesterol is OK, he wants me to take the Niaspan to try to get my good Cholesterol back up. The Lipitor lowers them both and the Niaspan is to get the bad back up. I read somewhere that there are three things that can raise the good Cholesterol. Diet, Exercise and Medication (Niaspan). But that each one of these will at the most raise it 5 points for a total of 15 points. If that's true then I'm just wondering if it's worth 5 points to take it.

The last check mine was: Total Cholesterol 110 ldl bad 63 hdl good 34 and I was not taking Niaspan. He likes the bad but wants the good up some and that's why he wants me to take Niaspan. Even before I had the stints put in my Cholesterol was not that bad, the highest I remember was 212. They called that borderline high but never put me on Cholesterol medication until after having stints put in. I only know one person at work that takes it and he doesn't have a problem with it. I just wonder how it's going to be when they raise the dosage and is it even worth taking? They want me to take it at everyday at bedtime, well I work as many nights as I do day's all 12 hour shifts, so that don't work either.

4. Raise your good cholesterol!

We tend to focus on the negative, but it’s equally important to raise your good cholesterol. Do this with a daily serving of essential fatty acids from avocados, nuts, olive oil, nut oils, and nut butters.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol-fighting-foods/

I was searching for foods that raise good cholesterol and could easily spend days reading what's out there. I am sure not qualified to tell anyone else what to do, but if it were me, I'd lay off those pills and try something else. As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna do that.

I know what your saying 212. I wonder what all those medications do to the kidneys and other organs? Some of them I have to take, I'm just not sure about the Niaspan. He didn't seem to be hung up on me taking it, just wanted me to try it. I'll keep going until my next office visit unless it gets worse, then I'll discuss it with him.

I found a forum that was discussing Niaspan and it was all negative talk. That was before I started taking it. He gave me a prescription for it and when I went back 3 months later I had never filled it. So he wrote another one and said just give it a try and if I have problems with it ......... So, I'll go for about another month then talk with him. I have only been taking it about 10 days or so.

When I was in the hospital, one of my roommates admitted to his doc that he probably wouldn't be back in there if he had done what his doc had said to do. He just couldn't afford to take all the meds. I guess we owe our lives to some of this stuff, but the others....

Yea, I agree, it's just the one medication that I'm not sure about. Seems like very little gain for something that causes a lot of side effects.

I take Niaspan, 500mg. I take it before bed, no matter what time that is. It usually bothers me within the first 30 minutes if I'm not asleep.

Also take simvastatin, plavix, and toprol.

My insurance was pretty good up until Jan. Doudled the premium with less coverage.

Guess I'll find out how good it is when I have surgery in April.

I'm still taking the Niaspan. My good Cholesterol was up my last check up so he talked me into staying on it for now. It wouldn't be so bad taking it if I could take it and go to bed. But I work just as many nights as days. Sometimes I hardly notice anything at all, but other times I get a lot of side effects from it. Mostly my face is hot, skin gets a prickly feeling, and a few other things :angry: . Maybe they will discover some new drug that better soon.

I saw on the news last night where they are testing something that will repair heart damage? This guy they were testing it on had gone from like 40% muscle damage to 30% or so. I heard them say something about stem cells without the controversy, not sure what that meant? If it's anything to it I'm sure we will be hearing more about it soon.

I had stint put in in 2004. My bad cholesterol was 100 bad 39. They said my bad was a little low. I now take an 81 mg asprin, Plavix(only because I smoke) , atenolol(12.5mg) and lovestatin(20mg). They put me on Lipitor and that was worst thing I ever took. Muscle aches, joint aches. Nothing for my bad yet....

I tried it as well as 2 others. I ended up back to Gemfibrozil which address triglicerides,

Talk to your docter about when to take the Niaspan. When I tried it I was to take a low dose of asprin which addressed the flushing and taking it before bed puts the side affect while you are sleeping so you don't know it is going on. Time of day may not matter if you are verying but check with your DR. Also ask questions about omega 3 and what levels are recommended. Don't necessarily jump on it but it is good for you. I will see what I can find from what I learned on Omega 3.

That's what my Doc recommended, taking the asprin with the Niaspan at bedtime. If I didn't work shift work that would be fine. He did say I could switch up and take it in the AM if I was working night and sleeping days. But that is a little hard to keep track of when you are taking a bunch of pills. I was taking the omega 3 too. Then he suggested some better grade omega 3 but that was too expensive, it's not covered by my insurance, it's over the counter. My Cholestrerol has been really good the last couple times. When I started to take the asprin at night with the Niaspan it did help some. Seems to be better if I don't take it right after I eat, but don't want to take it on an empty stomach either. The Niaspan side effects are not as bad as when I first started taking it.

Thanks for the information. I'll read up on it.