Willy4003

Hey Chris (212)!

Remember that Viv. 2000 BF slave you got going for me again a couple months back. Well, its acting up again. I cover up the sensor, turn it on, it charges the flash cap. and does the green light blinking sequence. I fire a camera at it and it does nothing, but the light comes back on seemingly trying to recharge the cap. that never discharged. I've removed the batteries and tried it again, but nothing. Do you think the cap. is bad??? Any tips on getting her going again?

Sorry, I could not resist it. :)

I can only imagine what the comment was :lol:

It sounds like the Slavemaster is doing it's thing. You can check the voltage on the cap, it should be somewhere over 275 volts or so after the green led turns back off. When I got it before, there was evidence that the trigger coil was sparking and carrying on. It looked like it was toast, but it worked. I think I bent it back into position and put some goop on top of it to help keep it there and insulate it some. That's the thing I would look at first, and make sure the wire going from the top is connected to the flash bulb still. Post a picture and I'll put some pointers on it if you need me to.

I can only imagine what the comment was :lol:

It sounds like the Slavemaster is doing it's thing. You can check the voltage on the cap, it should be somewhere over 275 volts or so after the green led turns back off. When I got it before, there was evidence that the trigger coil was sparking and carrying on. It looked like it was toast, but it worked. I think I bent it back into position and put some goop on top of it to help keep it there and insulate it some. That's the thing I would look at first, and make sure the wire going from the top is connected to the flash bulb still. Post a picture and I'll put some pointers on it if you need me to.

I'm sorry Chris, not sure why I didn't see your previous reply. I'll snap a picture of the guts and post it here in a few. Thank you!

I edited it to show where the wire may be broken, and where to check the voltage. Be careful, that could be as high as 300+ volts if it's working right. I hate to even say...but make sure the switch is on too.

post-215-1315790284_thumb.jpg

Hi Willy sorry to hear that unit is causing you so much trouble,

I believe that the 2000 will flash below your checked voltage, I remember that particular unit doing a rapid 2nd shot even though the capacitor wasn't at full charge ( Just going by the light intensity of the flash it was way less bright than the first flash )Here's a few suggestions to try, Check for continuity on the wires to the flash tube from the board, I'd check for voltage right at the flash tube. If the rated voltage is present at the tube, (You should have full voltage right at the tube just waiting for the trigger voltage before it fires), the flash tube may have failed, or the trigger circuit might be kapoot,

Chris is definetly the guy that can get that unit firing for you again

Terry

Edited by boss hog

Thanks Terry. OK Chris. I checked the voltage in the batteries and was getting 1.33 - 1.36 volts on each of them. Grabbed some new ones and tested them first and am getting 1.59 - 1.63 volts on all of them. Put them in, turned the unit on covering up the sensor. It went through the blinking sequence and then went solid while it is supposed to be charging the cap., but I didn't hear the familiar hum when charging the cap. Checked the voltage in the cap. and got 186 volts now???

Thanks Terry. OK Chris. I checked the voltage in the batteries and was getting 1.33 - 1.36 volts on each of them. Grabbed some new ones and tested them first and am getting 1.59 - 1.63 volts on all of them. Put them in, turned the unit on covering up the sensor. It went through the blinking sequence and then went solid while it is supposed to be charging the cap., but I didn't hear the familiar hum when charging the cap. Checked the voltage in the cap. and got 186 volts now???

Aren't you supposed to be at work????????????????? :D:P

How are you covering the sensors, Is there any chance the unit stopped charging the flash prematurely?

What you explained about the battery voltage doesn't add up with the flash voltage findings

Edited by boss hog