mattpatt

Well, The Pig Trap Worked! And Then....

Well, guys...things couldn't have went better. Caught 3 hogs today. Got them loaded and taken to our buyer. We had two boars and one gilt. The two boars weighed in at 88 and 111 lbs and the gilt (that we think was pregnant) came in at 113lbs. Made $100.44. Not a big haul by any means but that money will go toward off setting our corn bill this year or put back into the trap for improvements. We're already planning to add a few things like some 4x4 cattle panels to the ones we already have in place plus adding more t posts in between the ones that are already there as well. The pin was shaking pretty good when these small ones we had today were in there I can't imagine what a 200 pounder would do. We had some of those in the pin the night before and it took them all of 10 minutes to break out. Video is forthcoming.

Well I was expecting something like this, maybe next time add a little water and invite some of the neighbors over, sell a few tickets :lol:

I don't know what you will do if you get a Big Old Mad One in there? Keep us posted on the fun!

post-5460-1317017087_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the videos Matt. Looks like fun and made some money at the same time.

Well I was expecting something like this, maybe next time add a little water and invite some of the neighbors over, sell a few tickets :lol:

I don't know what you will do if you get a Big Old Mad One in there? Keep us posted on the fun!

post-5460-1317017087_thumb.jpg

TC.. I wish it was that muddy around here! Texas hasn't seen that much rain in a long long time. I need to get my DXG build going so I can have some live action from the trap as they go in. I was hoping to catch the door closing on them with the cheap commercial cam but had no such luck. Just when we are about to break even on this venture (we already had the t posts and panels so all expenses have been corn and a few misc items) we already have plans to re-enforce the trap. Since going down there and messing with these little ones and seeing how the trap bends I don't know if it could take one of the bigger ones. Plans are to get some more 48" tall cattle panels and cut them in half length wise. Then stagger them on the inside bottom of the trap so that the holes at the bottom of the panels overlap each other making the holes smaller. This will add strength plus keep them from sticking their noses through the panel very far like they can now. We are also going to add another set of T-posts in between the ones that are already there.

Matt,

Seems like if it's that many down there, and it's open to all you want when you want, that it would be a lot of folks trapping them like that? But if you have a pen in one spot how long will you continue to catch them?

Can you sell them if you shoot them or only sell them live? Lot of question huh, we don't have any up here and guess that makes me wonder about them :lol: . We just have the big old farm hogs, Oh, and the Redskin Hogs, who by the way just scored a TD against Dallas! B) Opps, I mean FG, 3 points :) I was typing when they scored LOL.

My parents live on a 1500 acre cattle ranch so there isn't alot of people close by. This is where we hunt, fish, trap, etc. You can only sell them alive. We'll keep baiting the pen until they stop coming. Who knows when that will be. I think the severe drought and brutal summer may have something to do with the fact we're seeing lots of hogs this year. Everything is burnt up and there's not alot to eat so when they find a fee meal I have a feeling they will stick around for a while. As long as we keep baiting...

I'm not much of a trapper so I'm not sure. All it is is two pieces of rebar put into the ground at a 45 degree angle with about 4 inches sticking up above ground. A rope is tied to the gate which has two springs on it that I salvaged from a old trampoline. The rope runs outside the trap and around the cattle panels to the opposite end where it enters the trap. The end of the rope is tied to the middle of a stick that is about 6 inches longer than the width between the two pieces of rebar. When the gate is pulled back that puts tension on the rope and the stick is then set right on the end of the two pieces of rebar. Corn is piled around the stick and when the pigs start rooting around they knock the stick off the rebar releasing the gate.

Matt

That's not tooo primitive. I expected you (Matt) to program a AIO which is hooked up to a sensor that would determine a specific number of hogs entering your pen. When that number is reached, the sensor would trigger a latch that would shut the gate using a hydraulic jack with a couple thousand pounds of hydraulic pressure.

Ha... Steve! The scary thing about that is I have actually thought about doing something similar. My idea was to use two PIRs so that you could somehow keep track of pigs coming and going in and out of the trap. Have all of this info sent via radio to a receiver in my house. It would also have a magnetic switch on the gate to alert me when the gate was closed.