Dude

Sound Mod On Commercial Trail Cam?

I have an Uway NX80HD camera that I like except there is something wrong with the sound on this model. Heavy static superimposed over the sound recording.

They suggest it is firmware related, but after two different firmware updates and no fix, I think it could be a manufacturing defect. Some kind of interference somewhere in the case. It is a looping grinding noise on the soundtrack. I was going to swap it in for another model but I just discovered that model only records video for 20 secs max.

Anyway to finally get to the point of my message. Does anyone think it might be possible to wire in another sound recording system to replace the old one?

I would remove the mic and see if it goes away and if it does just wire in a new one.

Does anyone know what these tiny mics look like? I am persistent but by no means handy. :)

They usually resemble a small can with a screen over one end and two leads coming out the other. Look for the mic hole on the outside of the case to find where it's at on the board inside.

They usually resemble a small can with a screen over one end and two leads coming out the other. Look for the mic hole on the outside of the case to find where it's at on the board inside.

I went over the outside of the case thoroughly and could not see a pinhole anywhere. Maybe that is the problem because the sound is muffled as well as static filled. If anyone has one of these NX80's, let me know if you see a mic outlet anywhere. I guess if there is no outlet they might have to turn up the gain pretty high which might result in the static I'm hearing. Does anyone know of a trail cam with sound that has no outside outlet for the mic?

Edited by Dude