Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye

Ohio Buck Down

post-504-1322352228_thumb.jpg

post-504-1322351885_thumb.jpg
Hi all, it’s been awhile, Thought I would share my good fortune. I’m not much of a writer but I always enjoy everyone else’s stories so I’ll give it a try. I was on evening hunt the night before Thanksgiving just watching two small buck feed and do some playful sparring about 15 yards from my stand. The sun was starting to set and I only had about a half hour of legal shooting light left. All I was thinking about is how am I going to get out of the stand with these two under me. Then the larger of the two started to act on edge and walked off. The small buck just kept feeding like he didn’t have a care in the world, this went on for a few more minutes then something behind me got his attention, he got stiff legged and backed up staring straight behind me then turned and trotted off. I looked to see what had scared him and all I could see was tines moving through the oak branches along the edge of the woods. He was 20 yards behind me and to my left. He's closing fast, I really couldn’t tell if he was a shooter or not just too much stuff in the way. At 10 yard he came into a clearing, he just didn’t look wide enough ( I read some ware to always look at the spread first, is his rack wider then his ears) but he had mass and tine length. I had to go with my gut feeling, it just seemed right. He was now directly to my left at 15 yards, he stopped and smelled the ground where the small buck had been feeding. I don’t remember drawling the bow back, I settled my 20 yard pin on the bottom of his chest and that was it. Double lunged and ran 60 yards then walked a little and laid down to died in the soybeans.

Thanks

Jeff

Congratulations, bet your glad you didn't pass him up, he's is very nice! Good job on the story too!

Stud of a deer!!! Congrats

That is one nice buck. I see why those smaller bucks ran off.

Wow, really nice.

Congrats on a very nice deer

HunterTom, I check his teeth and they were ground down quite a bit. I would guess he was at least 6.5 years old. What was really strange is he had many busted tines and scars and cuts on his head and face but his ears were perfect.

Thanks

Awesome buck!! Congrats! :coolsmiley: