TheAirMan

Video Trail Cam, Where To Start?

I am thinking about trying a video homebrew. The thing is I don't really know what all you have to have or have to do with one. I definitely wouldn't want to get too fancy with my first one. Is the a list on here or somewhere of what's required or maybe a video of someone doing a build. I'm just trying to see where to start.

3 choices that I know of

Jazz DV150 ( but it needs to be the older style white cam, not the new style that is out now )

Dxg567

Dxg 125

If you want true color day / IR night pics you need to add a exchanger to the build.

I would want true color and IR. What would be difference with a video build compared to a picture build? What else or what different would you have to have?

Time and more money. I prefer video because I get more information per event. Here is an example:

. If this had been a still camera, I may not have picked up the second buck unless I had it on multiple picture mode. Plus hearing them told me something completely different than what the pictures might have shown.

I just built me a DXG 125 with exchanger for the color daytime and IR night time.

At first it looked overwhelming and had no clue where to start after I bought all of the component. But after watching EGBERTDAVIS great videos on "how to", using TCSCOUT wiring schematic for the particular build that I wanted and looking at everyone's builds in the show me your DXG build post, I figured out how I wanted it to look and jumped in feet first finding out it really was not as bad as I thought.

I really like them over the still pictures because you get to see things and hear thing the camera does not let you see or hear. The guys here will really help you out and will not leave you hanging.

Good luck

You need

1-The camera of choice

1- BF Board for that camera and have it shipped programmed for the cam you choose and the exchanger you choose.

1- 6 to 8 wire servo ( or hard wire it ) 6 wire for dxg567 , 7 or 8 wire for dxg 125 ( it use to be a 8 wire but TCscout might have found out you do not need the 8th wire for the negative on the mic, but no one is offering a 7 or 8 wire servo so you can buy multipal smaller ones to make up what you need or buy the parts to make your own.

2- sister boards from BF

1- array ( I think this will be the hard one to figure out what you want and find it )

1- exchanger ( electronics 123 part # BB271 or Hunter toms exchanger )

1- IR lens ( you can get the electronics 123 part #BB 224 or purchase one from ebay or other source ) for first build you might want a 6mm lens

1- case to put it in

1- mic set up ( can be a kit 98 from electronics 123 it has to be assembled or a easy one is the ebay mic pre assembled )

1- 6v or 12v battery depending on which array and mic you use

1- 6.8ohm resister if using 5v exchanger and a 12v sla battery

1-3AA battery holder

1- some really thin wire to wire it all.

1- freznal ( you can use the HPWA wide angle from Snap shot snipper or buy the set up from BF that has the mount and freznal prealigned )

1- 1 1/4" glass for the case for camera to see out of.

1- rope seal to replace stock seal so case does not leak

1- goop

2- 4 wire screw terminals from BF

1- different sizes of foam ( BF has Eva Foam with adhesive backing )

I think it will cost $175-$200 to get all parts needed

Edited by predator bass

What size case does all that fit in? I wouldn't want a huge case but I wouldn't mind a little room for error on the first one.

I use the 1060 case / look at the jazz/dxg builds and see what others have built and what size case they use, you can use mulitpal C or D batteries as well to get the volts you need.

Edited by predator bass

Use a 1060 for your first build.

What are some good arrays for a DXG125 and where would you go about getting them? I know I have seen on here some people got some on ebay but I wouldn't know what I am buying at this point. I am not getting a lot of time to research right now and it is taking me a while to get started.