TheAirMan

Video Trail Cam, Where To Start?

I picked up a BF array in the auction on here. I am pretty sure I'm going with a DXG 125. Right now two things that are holding me up is what mic to use and how to power everything. I don't know if it would be possible but I would like to power everything with just regular batteries on this one. Also, I would like to make it to where it could stay out up to 3 weeks at a time on the batteries. I know that would depend on how often and how long of videos I had it set to take. Is there a way to rig it up to where everything will work on regular batteries?

I am still unsure about the exchanger. About everything I see on here says they are 5 volts. How would I get that with regular batteries? I know how to get 4.5 and 6 but not 5. Or do they not have to exactly have 5 volts?

I think I finally found the diagram I need and think I about know how everything needs to hook up now, maybe. One thing is that is getting me, I see a bunch on here about a Kit 98 for the sound. Is the thing at the top of this page what yall are talking about? http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.472/.f Also, is there a real advantage to using this over just a mic?

I think I finally found the diagram I need and think I about know how everything needs to hook up now, maybe. One thing is that is getting me, I see a bunch on here about a Kit 98 for the sound. Is the thing at the top of this page what yall are talking about? http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.472/.f Also, is there a real advantage to using this over just a mic?

good discussion of the mics here:

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47682

I have another question. What is the difference with the different size IR lens's?

If you are referring to 6mm, 8mm and 12mm etc, then lower the number wider the view, higher number more telephoto view. If you get too wide a view the array might not light up the whole view, sometimes the video will have the fishbowl look and if using an exchanger for color day/IR night video then you might not be able get the lens close enough to focus. Higher the number, more zoom/tele, lens will focus further from the CCD and the array should fill out the video OK. Most prefer the 6 or 8mm lens.

If you mean the f number, like f2.0 or f.2.5 etc then lower the number more the light the lens will let through. Other than that all I can think of is the size of the lens barrel and threads? Not really sure which you are asking?

What size wire do I use to wire everything? Will the real small wire that I use for the inside of the camera work for everything or do I need a bigger size?

The smaller 30awg wire is typically what is used for the power button and shutter button contacts but you would be better off using either 28 or 26awg for external power connections.

Where do you guys get your wire? I have some 30 gauge but not 28 or 26. I was kinda wanting to do this without using servos so I could have plenty of wire to run them how I wanted to keep everything neat.

servos has its advantages when you need to trouble shoot and take the cam out, I do not know were to get the wire but if you have some old appliances/radios ect. you can get them out of that or some cords that are not used from other cams.