TheAirMan

Video Trail Cam, Where To Start?

121 posts in this topic

I just drilled the holes in the case for my array. It's a BF array. The case (Pelican 1120) is to thick to let the leds come all the way through the case. Will it work okay like this?

If you have a countersink bit then counter sink the EXTERIOR Holes where some of the light can get out the side of the led. Will look like a funnel with the lwd sitting in the bottom of it.

all the servos I have seen only has the 30g inside and yes on the array, that is the way they work but like Jim said if you countersink the outside it will help.

I finally got all the stuff I need to do the camera hack, I think. Again, it's a DXG 125. How do you guys get the wires for the exchanger (electronics123) out of the case? Do you drill a hole or add on to the wires and run them out the bottom with the rest, or something else? Is the hole in the bottom big enough to get all wires including for external power and everything out of?

What do you guys do, if anything, to seal the hole where the new lens is coming through?

Foir the exchanger wires I have drilled a hole at the top and ran it out, When I do it again I will end up running it out the bottom with the rest after I extend the wires.

as far as the camera itself and the hole you made bigger for the lens I do not think anyone is patching up that hole or you would not be able to fine tune the focus but if your good you might be able to make a gasket system work.

I actually did the camera today before I saw your post. I ran the wires out the top because I didn't really know what else to do and I didn't want to cut that connector off. What is the best way to focus the camera now. I have searched on here but couldn't really find a detailed description of what had to be done.

You can focus by eye and then load the recorded video to see what it looks like and then adjust, some say focus for night time works best, I focus for day time because I would rather have a clearer pic of day time then one of night time, some hook the cam up to a TV and focus it that way.

When focusing, am I correct that what you to is adjust it by screwing the lens in or out farther?

When focusing, am I correct that what you to is adjust it by screwing the lens in or out farther?

That's right, and you might want to put a mark or two on the lens so you can see how much you moved it. Plus it helps you to put it back to a better setting you had.

This thing is getting me a little aggravated. It seems like it is one step forward and two steps back. I know things won't fall into place on my first one but so far it seems like nothing wants to cooperate lol. I am sure it will be, well actually it already is like my first still cam build. I will learn things to do different and better next time. If nothing happens to me, I will however, get it or mess it up beyond repair and start over. I have already learned for my next one to get something to hold the things you want to solder in place and get a magnifying glass.

what trouble are you having ?

what I find works best for me is I went to the dollar store and picked out a pair of reading glasses, I tried them all on till I found one that I could see small things real good up close, it works better than my magnifing glass.

The little connector on the exchanger(electronics123) driver fell off, the one the actual exchanger plugs into. I was plugging in the connector and it bent up and the when I tried to straighten it, it came loose. I tried to solder it back on, unsuccessfully. Where I couldn't see what I was doing good and having to try and hold it with one hand I ended up bridging the two joints. I think I finally got them separated though. I just soldered to wire to the solder joints on the back. Maybe it will work. I am not sure. I would hate to have to order another exchanger just for the driver.

They sale just the driver board for $9.00

You wouldn't happen to know the item # would you Jim? I looked on their website but I never found it. Since they do sell them I would rather just buy a new one than take a chance on that one.