TheAirMan

Video Trail Cam, Where To Start?

Call them by phone. # is in the contact us area. Ask for Lucian. Tell him I referred you. He will hook you up.

I contacted them and told them what happened and they just sent me a new one. You can't beat that. I got another question. On the 12v sla's I got, it's got a solid black wire and a black w/white stripe coming out into a plug. I can't find which one is positive & negative. I am guess the white stripe is positive but I don't know. Anyone know?

I am building my DXG125 (My first cam build) and I have the exchanger attached. I remember seeing posts about having to shorten the barrel of the 224 lens in order to make it focus correctly. The lens has a short threaded section, then a blank spot on the barrel, with no threads, then another threaded section near the base of the barrel. Do I just cut off the end at the blank section of threads, leaving the base, and the long threaded section? I can post pics if I need to explain myself better.

Thanks,

Joe

No cutting! I take a piece of sanding paper 120 grit would be fine and as evenly as I can rub the base of the 224 lens in circular motions and grind it down just to the glass. Be very careful that you do not go too far as you will scratch the bottom of the lens. Grind and check, grind and check, grind and check.

Got it. Thanks again.

....I am very surprised that you guys don't tire of all the rookie questions. And I'm also thankful that you don't.

Joe

dont' forget, grind and check, grind and check

Do you always have to grind it down? I have played around with mine and I screw it so far and it seems to focus and if I go a little farther it becomes unclear again. However, I am just going by the little screen on the camera so far.

I sanded mine down a bit and it focused fine. Thanks for the clarification.

AirMan, if your focus' without sanding it down, you are in business! No sanding necessary.

Joe

If you are using the exchanger and you do not grind it down the exchanger arm may not switch. Check that first and if you are not getting it to switch, then most likely the lens barrel is too long. Grind and check, grind and check, grind and check.

Ah! More good info. I just checked to see if it focused, not for the filter switching, but I did a good amount of grinding before I installed it. I just kept checking to see that I wasn't going to grind the lens, and kept grinding.

Joe

dont' forget, grind and check, grind and check

At the risk of looking even dumber than before (if that's possible), when you say "check", exactly how do I activate the filter arm? right not mu project is not in the box, but completely wired and ready to go. I can identify the input wire that triggers the array and the filter at the same time, but do I apply ground or voltage to make it switch? If voltage, how much?

Also, the lens screws into the exchanger quite easily, and is just as easily move after being focused. What do I do to tighten the threads a little so it will hold its focus? I was thinking just a trace of thread locker to provide a little drag.

Joe

A few wraps of plumbing teflon tape tightens up the threads making it tighter and harder to turn preventing focus from accidentally moving.

I have a question about the mic I got. I got one off of ebay but didn't notice until I ordered it that it only had two wires. After cutting the end off, it had a red and a white or yellow, then just a bare wire. I ordered another mic that had three wires. However I am not sure which one would be what. Here is a pic of the last mic I ordered. I cut the ends off of it and the color wires are (left to right) red, red, and yellow. I kept up with which end went to which wire. Can anyone tell me which wire would be positive and which would go to the camera and which to the sister board.

mic.jpg

A few wraps of plumbing teflon tape tightens up the threads making it tighter and harder to turn preventing focus from accidentally moving.

Excellent! Thanks!! I just so happen to have some of that so I can give it a try.

Joe

PS: I see by the tracking report that the board you sent me made it to the post office. I didn't make it in time to get it though. :-( I fly to Tampa for work this week, so it will be Friday afternoon before i can pick it up. I'm anxious to get it, as you would expect. Thanks again Jim!