wis2ohio

Homemade Smoker Designs

I am looking for pictures and design info on how to make a smoker I see there are alot online but don't wanna sort throught them all and figure this is the fastest route.

I'm thinking about building one for a son-in-law too. What do you have in mind...how big, how elaborate?

when I was growing up my father made one from an old refridgerator. It worked well and was nice since it already had the racks in it.

Edited by johnnydeerhunter

I am not looking for anything that's gunna cost over $100 to buy and make the aluminum trash can ones don't seem that hard to make from I have seen. What type do you have in mine 212?

aluminum trash can...cool idea! I have one I made from a well pressure tank about 15 years ago.

I am sure the pressure tank would last alot longer then a trash can one but since I have no clue what I am doing and I am not a welder I will have to stick with a simple stupid design.

when I was growing up my father made one from an old refridgerator. It worked well and was nice since it already had the racks in it.

I have made those too.

They work very well and should cost nothing to build. People give away the non-working fridge if you haul it away.

Trouble today is most have plastic inside !! That won't work! Old ones were all metal. You could just strip the compressor and stuff from the bottom, make holes for the smoke to get in the botom and to exit the top. Then dig a hole for a fire pit umder it or sit it up on cement blocks.

I have also made them from oil field pipe and one from an old 600 gal. propane tank.

BE CAREFUL THERE!!! even filled with water the tank will still pop pretty good when the torch hits a pocket of gas.

I see a lot of them made from old fuel oil tanks that work well too.