steve

Moisture Topic 2

Would be jury rigging it but how about just putting 2 holes in the side of the roof and using a bungy cord going down each side and the bottom?

Edited by IroquoisArcher

The bungee cord would work fine. If you are using a python cable and pipe through, you could just attach the sides to the cable where it goes into the case.

Last year I had a case with a rope seal in it and it brought it in in december for a few months and cleaned it all up and leak tested it and it was fine then when I pulled it out of the closet to put it out last spring I noticed that the rope seal had been compressed alot from being stored all winter so I leak tested it again and it leaked BAD. I replaced the seal and it was fine so ever since when I store cams with rope seals I leave the lid cracked to avoid compressing the seal. Other then that the I have not had any problems with the rope seals most of my leaks will come from a bad goop seal around the glass and if a piece of dirt or something gets in the seal (this is mostly with otter cases).

Just a thought for everyone using rope seals.

Last year I had a case with a rope seal in it and it brought it in in december for a few months and cleaned it all up and leak tested it and it was fine then when I pulled it out of the closet to put it out last spring I noticed that the rope seal had been compressed alot from being stored all winter so I leak tested it again and it leaked BAD. I replaced the seal and it was fine so ever since when I store cams with rope seals I leave the lid cracked to avoid compressing the seal. Other then that the I have not had any problems with the rope seals most of my leaks will come from a bad goop seal around the glass and if a piece of dirt or something gets in the seal (this is mostly with otter cases).

Just a thought for everyone using rope seals.

That is a good point about leaving the cases open. I too started doing that after noticing the seals staying flattened out after being closed for so long. Not much you can do about it when they are in the woods but sitting around the house it is a good idea to leave them open. Even with the Wally boxes.

When the rope seal has been getting too compressed I fill the depression with that RV gasket sealer that you can get at Walmart. It's easy to work with, much easier than goop. Just spread it with my finger to create a smooth uniform surface. Comes in either blue or black. Don't know what the difference between the colors is but I've been using the blue. I let it dry 24 hours with the cover open. Not my idea but has work flawlessly for the few times that I used it this past year.

I put a rain roof on all my cameras and have since I started building them. It serves several purposes..one is to keep the rain from getting on the top seal. it also helps keep out the rain when I open the case to check the camera and it reduces the water on the glass on the outside of the case. Another benefit is it sticks out far enough to keep the bright sun from hitting the fresnel lens and reduces fasle triggers during the day.

I use a simple hinge and pop rivet it on the back of the case with a plexiglass roof that covers the width of the case and sticks out far enough to to keep the rain from hitting the front of the case.

The case shown in a 1020 with a 380 and the case has been clawed on and bit by bear on many occasions but continues to work fine.

post-280-1324587962_thumb.jpg

a friend of mine is a physical therapist he gave me black and dark blue resistance bands I cut them to fit the case then zip tie the ends this stiff is also sold at Wal-Mart Dunham’s and eBay cheap

L12407811.jpg

post-5420-1324593082_thumb.jpgpost-5420-1324593100_thumb.jpg[a

ttachment=42262:Jazz_setup__Small_.jpg

Here is a sample of the roofs I use.....they are just tucked behind the case.The Moultrie cam is a friend of mine.....I know....how good a friend is he if he's using a Moultrie?I also use the rope seals on most every build.I think a lot of the trouble with leaks is tightening to the tree to much and warping the case.These roofs are made from light weight aluminum sheet used for making body panels on race cars......I just use the scrap pieces and then spray paint the camo.

post-5420-1324593115_thumb.jpg

Lots of great ideas. Boney, I don't like the looks of all that snow. Your roof held up well and sure did its job. If one more flake falls on there, it might just start a massive avalanche.

well my cousin has a ton of scrap and is gonna give me some tonight so I guess I will be tinkering with roofs this holiday weekend ;-)

Just a thought. With the vasoline on the gasket being used by some I wondered about chapstick. Don't think I'm wierd but was going out today and had a small Walmart box and wanted to coat the seal but didn't have any vasoline with me but I did have my trusty chapstick. Seemed to coat good plus doesn't take up any room. Will see how it works, at least will keep it from getting chapped. :D

well I got an extra roll of Aluminum from my cousin, and made my first attempt at a roof, doesn't look anywhere near as good as these, but as long as it does the job, the looks don't matter ;-)