steve

Moisture Topic 2

After reading Emmett's posts about moisture in his case and having my first leak recently, I decided to try some preventive measures. 35 Whelen posted his version of a roof for his cam and guys have talked about using a wide rubber band cut from a inner tube around their case. The rubber band does help. I had a roll of tin flashing laying around so I cut out some pieces and shaped them into a cover that I think should help a lot.

My leak was caused by installing the rope seal from 212 incorrectly. My 2nd attempt seems to be working good. Let me say that I think the rope seal is much better than what comes with the case. I like the roof idea for added protection.

Emmett's post.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...=48170&st=0

post-697-1324411108_thumb.jpg

I put a P41 and a slave in a 1060 with new rope seal from Hags store. The first time I put it out I had a teaspoon of water in the bottom of the case. I found no water marks or corrosion anywhere just a puddle of water. The camera was out for a week in rainy weather every day. Everything checked out water tight except for where I connected the two ends of the rope seal together at the bottom of the case. It must have been slightly pulled apart. You would never think that water could get sucked in from the bottom of a case. So I redid the seal and did a extensive dunk test that passed. So I am going to try it again but with the covers I made. I'm not taking any chances from now on. Too much work and money to ruin a camera or control board.

Those little roof-covers look very good Steve and I reckon that they'll work nicely. I think that's the critical part of the case....the upper section where water (or snow) can sit in the lid/base join and slowly seep into the case if the seal is not 100%. You'd think that gravity would take care of any moisture on the sides or the bottom pretty quickly but on the top where it can sit for a while it has the opportunity to get into the case....but not with a roof over that area !

These days I make-up my own 4mm O-ring seals for the 1020 and 1040 Pelican cases after finally locating a rubber-company down here that sells the proper sponge-chord. I do my join at the bottom and glue-it with a flexible rubber adhesive and also put a dab of Goop in each case corner as I run the seal in for the 1st time as I've found that the corners are where the seal seems to lift when you open the case up after a while out in the weather. I also do the "smear of vaseline" on the seal before each set to stop the lid grabbing it and lifting it out when you open the lid...so far so good with that and I haven't noticed any deterioration of the seals due to the vaseline as yet.

Had one of my Otter 3000's do a full submersion in a flooded river for 3 days over the winter.....luckily it was on the "down-stream" side of the tree and didn't get damaged by floating debris. When the river dropped I went and retrieved it expecting the worst....inside the case was perfectly dry. Like those Otters !! No pictures of trout or passing platypusses though. :lol: Cheers from Down Under

35Whelen

Edited by 35whelen

I built a cam for a fellow many years ago with a BG1 and D380 Bolted a metal shed roof on the top of a cheap case that didnt seal well I then did the 3d camo to it all He tells me he still uses that cam today. I think the roof will make a very big difference and suggest anyone that has any reason to question the waterproofness of the build to use one. I also think it can help keep the cases shaded somewhat and reduce the hot/cold condensation inside the case.

Yep i usually just bend an old license plate in half and slide it behind the cam when i put it on a tree. Cheap and has never let me down.

Yep i usually just bend an old license plate in half and slide it behind the cam when i put it on a tree. Cheap and has never let me down.

Now we know who's been stealing all the license plates.

I like the idea of using a light coat of vaseline on the seals. It makes sense that it would help the case seal better. Using the rope seal, I feel like the latch is going to break sometimes because of how tight it is to close. Especially when the case is left open for a while. Putting some vaseline on the latch makes it snap open and close surprisingly easy. A simple solution to avoid breaking the case.

I like the idea of using a light coat of vaseline on the seals. It makes sense that it would help the case seal better. Using the rope seal, I feel like the latch is going to break sometimes because of how tight it is to close. Especially when the case is left open for a while. Putting some vaseline on the latch makes it snap open and close surprisingly easy. A simple solution to avoid breaking the case.

You don't have too big a piece of faom between the camera and opposite side of the case to hold the camera in place do you? This would cause the lid to close harder and spring it a touch.

I sure see the concern about the seal being so tight, I'm almost afraid to close the case the first time. So far so good, but I take a lot of time working the rope down into the grove as best I can. I pinch it into the grove is the best way to describe it, pushing it in one side then the other a few times, little by little. I do bunch it up slightly on the corners, and where the ends meet too, never stretch it into place and cut it..

It's pretty simple. The cover just sits on top snug of the case. I added wire to each side to attach it to the u bolts on each side. I measured the size I wanted. Cut and bent the tin to fit. Then riveted on the back where the tin overlapped. Really didn't take long at all and comes off in seconds.

post-697-1324505538_thumb.jpg

Very nice Steve. I am going to have to try that but I'll have to figure out how to tie it down since I do not use u bolts. Maybe i can add some type of bold just for securing the roof down.