HuntinDawg

Rigging A Trough Feeder To Knock Off Shed Antlers

I've heard that you can rig your trough feeder to help knock off sheds, thus making them easier to find. I've heard just run a wire around the trough so the antlers will hit it and I've heard use something else like chicken wire, cattle panel, etc.

Has anyone done this and does anyone have any advice on how high to hang it or what to use. I'm afraid of making it where a nice buck can't get his head in and out or making it where constantly bumping the wire spooks the buck too much to use the feeder.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by HuntinDawg

I put some 2 by 2 inch fence on some trees to make a v ..then put corn and feed in the tight end of v ... about 6 years ago still have not got any to fall off close to tree yet...

I also have tried everything, from the v shaped fence, to the cross pattern wire, to cross pattern twine. I have never found anything to trap an antler yet and I have been trying for YEARS.

I suppose my next step was to try surgical tubing, it is elastic and the deer may not feel the tubing as they dig for the food, when they retract their head it would P-u-llllll the antler off .

If anyone has a tried and true way to get this to work , I too am interested in how.

I am tinkering with the idea of putting corn under some brush so they hit their antlers on it, but I have seen some with chains on a bucket as well. We have elk near here and I would hate to see the result of them getting antlers caught in chains.

i have seen where people put up wire fence by feed and the deer werent ready to shed. they got stuck and died. just be careful with this one.

Some use rubber bungies from the top of a covered feeder to the bottom where the deer feed. See video.

Edited by befus

You guys are thinking too much, ha.

Just put part of a square bale under a picnic table, and there you have it.

gyp