Sign in to follow this  
egbertdavis

Anyone Ever Solder Your Raditor

If so, any tips for me?

Way way Back in the day I did a couple, wire brush it really good to get it nice and clean, make sure the area is good and dry or steam can prevent the solder from sticking, use flux and a torch with enough heat to get er done.

Good luck!

I agree fully. The other thing to be sure of is that you heat the tube well before touching the solder to it. You need it to stink into the tube. The tube will be useless in most cases, so I always took the "more is better" theory. I found they leak again if I tried to be conservative. If you can't get it fixed as is, you may have to scrape some of the fins away to get a clear shot at the break. I've had to go so far as to cut and pinch the tube and solder both pinched ends. This was on an old 77 Chevy truck I abused as a teenager, so I got a lot of practice.

This is right side of the radiator just before the top and on a corner. I drained out as much of the water as I could and am now waiting for it to dry out a bit behind it. It's just a 1/4 hairline crack.

I did a bunch of them in the olden days. If it is a tube leaking, I'd just cut it on both ends and remove the stub. Then just fill the hole in the tank with solder. If it is the tank that has a crack, do put a lot of solder over it. Acid core solder worked best for me.

I fix a lot of old tractors, and a lot of radiators as a result. Wire brush or sand it so it is ultra-clean, and dry. Use a bit of flux and a propane torch.

...If you can solder the wires on a 125 hack, this should be the simplest soldering job you've ever done!

Joe

After all of that, I learned that it was plastic. What a bonehead. I hope I have it fixed now though. We'll know tomorrow.

if you resort to radiator stop leak, I've had good luck with Bartels brand.

Just a question on the metal type in case this comes back up again.. If you are trying to solder a leak with the radiator still in the car/truck, after draining and drying it out would you leave the radiator cap off while soldering? To allow the heat from soldering to escape or would it matter?

id take the cap off to allow any steam to escape so it don't build up any pressure and "Leak" out the melted solder

jbweld it next time. :D (works on exhasts and gastanks...but I don't know how I'd know that)