Mechanical Heart Valve

post-215-1326204865_thumb.jpg

Celebrating 31,536,000 beats today, using my St Jude's mechanical heart valve. January 10, 2011, one year ago today, Doctor Jeffrey D. McNeil (active duty lieutenant colonel) removed my broken aortic heart valve and implanted a plastic one.

An eight and a half hour operation, the most difficult one he had ever done, and I was given an extension on life. I am hugely thankful to him, cardiologist Dr. Theodore Trusevich (who was my guardian angle), my dear wife, and all the other people involved. I owe them my life! Here is Doctor Jeffry McNeil

post-215-1326205485_thumb.jpg

I am Thankful as well! ! You are a good man Chris! Glad you are here with us.

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary. It is a great day for you, your family, and the Hagshouse family.

Chris, even if you have been feeling good it's something about the 1 year mark that makes you feel just a little bit better! Sure am glad you had that done and will be around to celebrate many more anniversaries with us! Thanks for everything you do for us and Hags House.

Congratulations Chris... there is a plan in your life and for ours. I think we all have benefitted from your success. May you have many more years to come!

am glad to hear how happy you are with it, some day the Doc says I'll get a Brand New Heart Valve too but I hope mine is not as serious an ordeal as yours. I want my surgery to only take an hour or two. Any longer than that and there might be too much caffeine sloshed in there from all the coffee breaks. You might have had some donuts sewn in in your case, come to think of it....

Congrats buddy!

Congradulations Chris. You know... when I openedup the thread and seen that pic, I thought it was some sort of birth control gadget you had there. :lol:

Congrats on that there new fangled device. It's a wonder what they can do and how good you feel afterwards. They do have you on coumadin right?

Think it's actually made of titanium. I have 2 (not trying to up you here). They also said it had a 150 year guarentee so I think I'll wait 149 years (make that 138) and ask for a replacement.

The St. Jude valve came out in 1976 just before they did my first one and they used a Lilehi-Kaster which basicaly looks like rattlesnake fangs in a circle with a disk that opens and is stopped by the top of the "fangs" (I still have it in the drawer along with my first defibrilator :) ). St. Jude was a much better design.

One of my valves has a recall on it so hope yours doesn't either (they ain't getting it back yet) as it had silzone around the outer sewin cuff and it had a higher failure rate (by like 3 cases out of 600 for each test).

Congrads Chris and glad it is working good for you. Here's to seeing you around for many more years to come.

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Yep, I have to take those little green and orange rat poison (coumadin) pills every day. At first I could be bruised by the slightest little bump, and would bleed like crazy with the slightest scratch, but I guess I've gotten more used to them now.

The valve housing is made of graphite coated with pyrolytic carbon, as are the leaflets. The leaflets are impregnated with tungsten to allow valve visualization during radiography

Both right I guess, but it's still just plastic to me :lol:

Congrats on the anniversary Chris

Upon seeing the pic my first thought was you could also use that on a 4 barrel carb