Sign in to follow this  
35whelen

'roos & Hog Deer From Down Under

Summer down here and HOT....real HOT ! So it's a good time to watch some water holes with the TC's in preparation for the April Hog deer season. I've built a 6X4m "catchment roof" on my hunting block which collects rainwater and gravity feeds it to a trough in a small clearing nearby. It's a good spot to put a unit as good drinking water is very scarce in this pretty harsh coastal country so it's a popular spot throughout the year for the critters that live there.....especially so over the summer in the heat. So for the past months I've had a few S600 units out monitoring this and a few other natural water points...here's a few pics of some nice Hog deer, Eastern Grey Kangaroos, a Swamp Wallaby and a Pied Currawong giving the lens glass on my 1020 XLP a bit of a close-up look. Cheers from Down Under

35Whelen

DSC00853-1.jpg

DSC00403-1.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01323-1.jpg

DSC05411-1.jpg

DSC05137-1.jpg

DSC01050-1.jpg

DSC00493-1-1.jpg

DSC00347-1.jpg

DSC05427.jpg

Edited by 35whelen

As usual very nice pics!

Nice pics as always sir!!!

Great assortment. Thirsty critters! Thanks for sharing!

The unit on the trough was a LN 1040 with a S600 running a 4gb card, SSS LCD board and 2 C's for EP. I had the board set for 2 shots per event with a 30 second timing day & night to filter-out some of the 'roos as they tend to sit at the trough for 20 minutes or so where-as the deer spend a couple of minutes there tanking-up at the most.

Even on those timings the 4gb card only lasts about a week....this time I had it out for 10 days & there were 1450 shots on the card which was full and another 225 on the board shot counter. Camera was still running...but no pics for a couple of days with the full card. C's and AA Eneloops were all at 1.32V so a bit of juice left in them still. All manner of birds and the 'roos sitting about were the main card-fillers....and most of them end-up in the Recyce Bin....but 400 or so of the deer which is what I'm basically targeting pre the April Hog deer season. Just got the board tuned back to Medium to reduce the "bird strike" & also set for Day Only this time to save a bit of card space as at the moment most of the deer visit during the heat of the day for a drink and what happens at night isn't really relevant to my hunting outcomes anyway.

There are a few wild pigs in this area too....remnants from escaped domenstic stock from 30 years ago...get them on the TC's a bit too. So Hogs....and Hog deer ! Cheers from Down Under

35Whelen

DSC03592-1-1.jpg

DSC00793-1.jpg

DSC00148-1.jpg

PICT0051-1.jpg

I really enjoy your pictures. Especially the kangaroos. Thanks for posting.

I caught the end of a PBS special last week about kangaroos living in an urban area in Australia. Lots of houses and highways. It was a study with monitoring collars on all the kangaroos. They had names for all the different kangaroos. A lot get killed when hit by vehicles on the roads. Seemed they went into the neighborhoods at night. By tracking and plotting where the animals went, the scientists learned of at least one that learned never to cross a particular busy road. Would go right up to the edge of the road, but never cross it. Was very interesting show. Wish I saw the whole thing.

Edited by HunterTom