Sign in to follow this  
BowmanPa

Turkey Call

I won this Call on another site for a Buck Contest. It is a Walnut Glass with a Turkey feather in side. I have not Turkey hunted with a call like this so I may just keep it for a show piece or put it in a charity Auction or sell it. But what do you all think of it.

The guy who makes them is from Camphill, Pa.

Here is his site check it out a lot of nice calls.

http://www.a-jcalls.net/shop/index.php

post-5903-1329957570_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking call. Slate calls make some great sounds when used correctly.

What is the difference between a slate call and glass call? This one is a glass call.

That I can't tell you. I have used slate and aluminum but never actual glass.

How about you send it to me so I can give it a go :ph34r: just to see how it sounds.

What is on the end of the striker?

Nice looking call Emmett. That feather really does set it apart.

To me slate is more of a deeper quieter tone. The glass calls (and there's different variety of single/double/triple glass, wood housing and strikers (again different types...cherry, oak, hickory, locust among others and also carbon) to get different higher pitch/louder calls. The aluminum and glass (using a carbon striker) is more or less waterproof where you get the slate wet and your about done for then. I used to always use a single slate and it over the years has begun sounding worse. A local gentleman makes several different models (along with several box calls) and when I went to him (he's a member of our church) because he hadn't put my verse on mine (he puts a scripture verse on each one) he had me try a different variety of strikers as when I tried it for him he didn't like the tone. This guy can do wonders with these calls!

Edited by IroquoisArcher

That I can't tell you. I have used slate and aluminum but never actual glass.

How about you send it to me so I can give it a go :ph34r: just to see how it sounds.

What is on the end of the striker?

It is a wooden striker.