Sign in to follow this  
scruffnbeez

2001 Dodge Ram Problem

The front end squeaks when turning, only in 4 wheel drive. It doesn't do it when I am not in 4 wheel drive. Does anyone know what would be the problem? Easy fix? expensive fix? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

U joint in the front drive line

Depends it actually could be in the front drive shaft to the front end from the transfer case it may not be that bad, you may not notice it with play but i would suspect if you dropped it out it would be dry and not swivel for the lack of a better word one way or the other or binding

Cheaper to fix it before it falls off and breaks in half, or gets stuck and flips you over. Or just wait, maybe it will fix itself :unsure:

Good to see ya haven't forgotten us :)

How come it only squeaks when it is in 4 wheel drive and not all the time? I will take it and get an estimate. It is only a work truck, so I only drive it a little on Saturdays.

OH, I can't forget this place! Just that work won't let me visit..says Hag's House is not allowed because of 'weapons'! :o

Sounds to me like its up in the CV joints or your intermediate 4whl drive shaft...get it checked quick, esp if you here a clunk during a sharp turn. When it finally does this clunk when its just in 2wheel its too late and 2x as expensive...I've got an 03 and it cost $700+ when it failed(I limped it around as it was mid summer and I figured didn't need 4whl) and took out the spindles(luckily not on the hub too) on the shaft. The replacement was defective as well and failed and did more damage though I didn't have to pay for that so not sure what it would have been with the hub replacement.

The reason why we are saying front shafts is when your applying 4wd your locking this system in and applying pressure (load) so to speak, If its just squeaking all the time I would bet its int the drive shaft from the transfer to the front axle, the ones in the front wheels if they are u-joints or cv joints would bother more turning in my experience, not to say iits not, but in 30 yrs experience i would have someone remove that front driveshaft and look for a binding u-joint first

With the help of a friend.... U Joints right behind the front wheels replaced, new brake pads for both sides, one new rotor and a new pair of calipers. Now it no longer squeaks, front end drives better and the brakes work better....I am a few hundred dollars lighter, too! B)

Thanks everyone for the advice.