Buckhunter1

Raspberry Pi Anyone?

23 posts in this topic

I've made some progress on my experimentation with the raspberry pi. I have successfully installed and used a 3G USB modem from AT&T. I then installed logmein hamachi which allows you to be able to communicate with the RPI from behind firewalled networks. After installing the hamachi client on my home PC I can now open up a terminal screen on the Raspberry Pi. That's as far as I've gotten. Would like to experiment with a webcam next to see if I can get it to where I can view live video. At the very least get it to take a pic and upload to a website. The raspberry pi has a GPIO header and you could have it do all kinds of things. Like control relays to turn things on and off. Control servos, etc. Fun stuff!

I just read this and it looks like the module will be getting it's own camera soon. This should make things easier moving forward.

Been playing around with the RPi a little bit more. I've been able to get a IP webcam to work and I am ready to test in the field. I'm going to put everything in a box and set it outside. If it works like it should. I should be able to login to the RPi remotely and also VNC into it at which point I can access the built in web browser on the RPi to access the webcam. Battery power is going to be a big issue. A deep cycle battery and solar panel will be required for sure. It really isn't that expensive once you get all the pieces. Only $25 a month for the Go Phone data account. This setup would be perfect for remotely monitoring a hunting cabin or something like that where you don't have internet or electrical but can get fairly decent cell service. The camera I used does have the ability to sense motion and send alerts but I'm not sure how well it works. If there are some interested folks I'll try to take some pics of the setup and post in a new thread.

Matt

Been playing around with the RPi a little bit more. I've been able to get a IP webcam to work and I am ready to test in the field. I'm going to put everything in a box and set it outside. If it works like it should. I should be able to login to the RPi remotely and also VNC into it at which point I can access the built in web browser on the RPi to access the webcam. Battery power is going to be a big issue. A deep cycle battery and solar panel will be required for sure. It really isn't that expensive once you get all the pieces. Only $25 a month for the Go Phone data account. This setup would be perfect for remotely monitoring a hunting cabin or something like that where you don't have internet or electrical but can get fairly decent cell service. The camera I used does have the ability to sense motion and send alerts but I'm not sure how well it works. If there are some interested folks I'll try to take some pics of the setup and post in a new thread.

Matt

please set up a new thread!! Are you going wireless router to router in this test? If so, how far are you able to distance them from eachother? This could be useful for my driveway at the cabin and our barn which is approximatelly 100 yards away.

Thanks

You could but I'm using a cradlepoint router that takes a AT&T USB modem. The cradlepoint is also wireless so I don't see why you couldn't setup a point to point but the distance would be limited because of the cradlepoint's built in antenna.

Bandwidth and processing of streams on the RPI may prove to be bottle necks for anything live based on my experimenting on Wifi and ethernet connections. Short clips sent up to a server may serve you better. The $25 data plan may also be a constraint for anything beyond short video clips, and that may stretch it if there's a lot of activity. I've been offline with mine lately. The new 512MB RPI looks promising, and may help with video processing. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and hoping to get back in the saddle soon with my work. Been working some on setting up wifi repeaters. I've also been tossing around some ideas of a Mars Rover type web cam as well, reposition as needed... fun fun...

Matt

Would an Arduino be a better fit? Especially since you can get the Arduino pro mini which is small?

This is cool stuff. Any recent activity using RasPi for automated uploads?