GHOSTMAN

Raptor Wireless Camera

I had PixController send me one of their cameras to test out prior to buying one. Here's the camera and some of my results from the test.

The camera didn't meet my certain needs and might be for yours.

1. Too bulky of a case.

2. Daytime pictures were almost frosty looking due to a lack of a cut filter.

3. Camera lense was off center upon arrival.

4. Off center caused a blur spot on the images.

5. Price was way out of range for what the camera offered.

6. Used a data plan SMS not a MMS plan.

7. 12v battery would drain quickly if used alot and without a 12v solar panel.

8. Night illumination was not to my liking.

9. IR's were of the red brake light version.

The camera did do ok here:

1. On demand picture taking from your home was possible

2. Camera operations to a degree could be adjusted via the software program and done over the internet.

3. Fast and expidited service from PixController.

4. Was promised to be repaired from shipping settling if sent back. (not happening during peak deer season).

5. Work perfectly in a security type setting not as a trail camera.

6. Somewhat easy set up program via your PC before deploying.

Needless to say I returned this camera after just 5 days in the field. I mounted the Extender eye to this cam to have another light source added from another direction and didn't come with the camera. I didn't waste PixControllers time and $$ by holding it any longer. The $1000.00 price tag wasn't easy to swallow either.

Raptor Wireless Camera

RAPTORCAM.jpg

RAPTORIRS.jpg

RAPTORONTHETREE.jpg

BigTom.jpg

IRFLASHONGLASSLENSE.jpg

Image9.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

Looks awful. For that kind of money i would want better quality.

No way I would waste that kinda money based on those results alot of other wireless trail cams that do better

I had an Idea about trying to incorporate a trac phone into a build in a similar setup, but have not figured out the mechanics of it yet. I could not imagine paying so much for a cam and the quality being like that.

There is an alternative I have seen if you have the cam near your house enough to get a wi fi signal to the camera, and that is a myfi card. It is a SD card with a built in WiFi transmitter so you can access it from a computer. Obviously it wont transmit long distances, probably less than 500 feet, not sure if the range could be extended with a little finagling.... I have not seen these in a sony capable version though.

Looks awful. For that kind of money i would want better quality.

When I started the quest for trail cameras I started with crummy commercial ones that were cheap in price and not really knowing what to look for. As time went on and looking at the pictures delivered I moved on to find better. I've read and viewed many posts on trail cameras and prices all over the web and forums.

Depending on what each one of us wanted in a camera depicts what works best for you in the end. There are so many commercial cams out there saturating the market place its tough to jump and spend the money on one or more. I checked out various sites claiming an unbiased approach only to find out their in kahoots with one of the manufacturer's and biased as all get out. I do still own some commercial cams and only until they konk out completly. I've found the homebrew cameras deliver a world of difference in results and hit the targeted areas I'm looking for.

I really like the idea of choosing what I want built to an extent. I'm not really interested in a camera that takes pictures like a machine gun firing in a split second when I can have a true HD camera filming it instead! All electronics have their quirks for sure and aren't perfect because man makes them. I haven't been disappointed from the homebrew side of the house yet and won't bother with commercial ones unless a family member just happens to get me one for a gift. Hats off to the individuals who take the time to offer these homebrew builds for us to purchase and enjoy!

One of my biggest pet peeve is those commercial cams with poor night illumination with black and white exposure. I partnered one low glow cam I have with that IRB extender that helps a great deal but still makes it look like your in a dream or something when looking at it. I can deal with black and white video at night as long as it's HD quality. I have a new 16.1 brew in the process with a V3700 mated to it and should complete my quest for illumination distance at night coupled with great megapixal clarity too boot. The DXG has the video side covered where needed for now.

This is my opinion on what I interpret which cam is best for my applications and never go back to commercial cams again.

I've been running a Pix Controller Raptor for a couple of months now. I like it.

It was fairly easy to set up once Rogers wrapped their head around the fact that the sim card was for a camera and not a cell phone! I'm in Canada and the only carrier we can use is Rogers. Originally I thought I'd be looking at $45 a month for the cellular plan but was able to get one for $10 for 100MB which should be good for close to 2000 pics per month....pretty cool. Yes the pictures are of low quality, compared to my S600's, but I think that's necessary to allow for affordable cell plans. I used my climber to get the camera high enough to deter theft and used the RF sensor hidden in logs for triggering the camera. I have a Trophy Rock as "bait" and I'm really looking forward to keeping an eye on antler growth and how often they visit the site.

I've had 188 triggers/status notifications since March 14th with nothing in the last two days, my last pic said 12volts or 44%, I'm guessing the battery is now dead after 2 weeks. I have a solar panel here but need to make a bracket for it to mount to the tree. The RF sensors don't come with any hardware to mount to trees but are tapped to accommodate 1/4-20? threads I believe.

They are expensive but I'm offsetting that with some rentals of the unit.

They are now offering a No Glow version as well as the standard IR version.

Edited by pypredator

I see the night shot you posted has thoese white led circles around the edges. I'm not sure why Pix hasn't rectified this issue. I don't know how long you've had your model as mine was an older demo model I tested around Nov of last year. My demo had just returned from Alaska that was on a stint with the Animal Planet t.v. show.

The idea was nice of incorporating the IR's with the lense but, really needs seperating due to the reflection on the glass. If it were me, I'd make make a row(s) of them away from that sensitive area. They might have chose mounting the lense like the homebrews and install the IR's in a circle around the outside of it. Of course I'm assuming here (you know about that idea) that they tried that in the R&D processes. I wonder why this reflection issue was overlooked in the R&D processes.

I wouldn't be very happy in a security setting if the thief was only spotted once on cam and the face was in the washed out white circle led reflection.

I will say that the folks at PixController are on their game in the customer service dept.

I'm glad you have better service with yours than I did with my demo model.

Here's another comparison of the same area in low resolution OVGA with another commercial MMS cam / IRB extender for $315.00.

Not the greatest either but, much better than my results with the Raptor.

8ptspike.jpg

TURKEYSATTHECONDO.jpg

I've been running a Pix Controller Raptor for a couple of months now. I like it.

It was fairly easy to set up once Rogers wrapped their head around the fact that the sim card was for a camera and not a cell phone! I'm in Canada and the only carrier we can use is Rogers. Originally I thought I'd be looking at $45 a month for the cellular plan but was able to get one for $10 for 100MB which should be good for close to 2000 pics per month....pretty cool. Yes the pictures are of low quality, compared to my S600's, but I think that's necessary to allow for affordable cell plans. I used my climber to get the camera high enough to deter theft and used the RF sensor hidden in logs for triggering the camera. I have a Trophy Rock as "bait" and I'm really looking forward to keeping an eye on antler growth and how often they visit the site.

I've had 188 triggers/status notifications since March 14th with nothing in the last two days, my last pic said 12volts or 44%, I'm guessing the battery is now dead after 2 weeks. I have a solar panel here but need to make a bracket for it to mount to the tree. The RF sensors don't come with any hardware to mount to trees but are tapped to accommodate 1/4-20? threads I believe.

They are expensive but I'm offsetting that with some rentals of the unit.

They are now offering a No Glow version as well as the standard IR version.

I went out and checked on this camera yesterday. Something,probably a raccoon, had moved the PIR sensor from it's hiding spot. When I picked it up it sent a picture to my phone. I moved the camera from it's elevated position and lowered for a better view. The battery was still running the camera but I swapped it out any way.

well i havent used the raptor, but i am hooked on the buckeye cam orions with pc base. i jave used the black flash ones for about a year, and while the range isnt the best, for my situations it is perfect and their system works flawlessly. i just picked up my 2 cams from the field after about 1 year untouched and they were still chugging away after tens of thousands of pics. they do have solar panels though. you dont get the quality or fun out of it as you do with homebrews, but for reliability and functionality, you cant go wrong.