Sign in to follow this  
bulltalk.65

Depression

I just saw this new topic here and thought I'd post..

just wanted to know if anyone here has ever battled with depression? it is definately a health issue and can pretty much render a person useless in a quick hurry....it has me, and still does if I dont pay attention to what I eat and how I think, meaning staying positive and not thinking negative.

what medications did you use/take and how did it effect you or did it ?

I am taking 3 different ones and I swear no matter how they change the dosages or kind, it has taken a toll on my vision, memory and physical shape, anyone here go through that ?

My brother has been dealing with depression for the last 4-5 months. Just as you described rendered him to the point of not being able to do anything. Had to take 3 months off work. Became suicidal. Spent 5 days in a Psych ward. They got him on the medication and counseling he needed. Though he still has his good and bad days He is in a much better place then he was. Like you he is now constantly monitoring himself and what he does. I am not sure what meds he is on at this point. I know he went through several finding ones that seemed to have less side effects on him. I do know he deals with memory issues. And he had lost a considerable amount of weight that he didn't have to lose. He has gained that back now. Sorry to say I do not recall what the side effects were of the ones he had to switch from. Do not feel you are alone in this George. Many many are working hard daily to manage it.

It does stink, and from what I am told from numerous different physicians is it can actually be a hereditary thing ( had never heard that before 2 doctors said it)...I know I'll have a couple great weeks and all is good then bang, I wake up crying in the middle of the night, then the following day or 2 is all about getting focused on positive and staying busy.....if I dont then the negative just takes over and quick and that gets scary becuase you just think its not worth it.

I'm Glad to hear your brother is doing better, tell him I understand and to keep up the self monitoring, it helps alot..

it is weird how it works and the medications definately mess with you and how you think, the first meds they put me on made me worse, so they upped the dosage and then I became a lump on a log so to speak with no motivation to even get out of bed so they switched and then things were way out of whack to the good, wide awake, couldnt sleep, just like I was buzzed up on something, so they backed the dosages down and it got better but it has effects on the memory, vision and male anatomy stuff that isnt fun but I was opposite with the weight, I gained alot of weight in the last 6 months....

Sometimes I just wish I could be normal and everyone else that has to deal with depression, because it effects so much of your daily life.

thank you for just talkin about it, I dont like to talk about it but it seems to help a little, atleast for me.

George that is one of the worst things to have to deal with... but you can deal with it and without medication... at least I did. Yeah they put me on meds, twice and both times I swear I got worse... laying in bed crying like a baby like you said... but I got off the meds and made up my mind I was not going to let this whip me. I started dealing with it mentally. Every time I would get to feeling like that I would lie down and begin to slowly deal with it and control it. Telling myself to quit beating myself up over it. Everybody has a hard time at times... and you get to asking yourself and God "why me". When you find this answer.... "why not me, what is so special about me that things can't happen to me and shouldn't" then you learn that life is what it is. You do have great times and you "will have" hard times so expecting life to deal you a blow will sometimes set you back a bit. But don't give up. Take a hard look at the people you see at a mall or out in life in general.

I saw a few of them today, one in perticular in a wheelchair using a blow tube to guide his way around. I would say I felt sorry for him... but then I said that guy is awesome and he doesn't want me to feel sorry for him but instead feel proud he has adapted to life and moving on with his life. He was getting around pretty darn good. We all must take notice that our bodies and lifes are fragile but our spirit can be strong if we will let it.

Reading the Bible helped me a lot and I will tell anybody that. I am closer then I have ever been to appreciating everything the Lord gives me each day. Sure pain and some depression may enter my life daily but depression is no longer a factor that I worry about.

Long answer but take is slow and easy each day learning to control it, lean on the Lord to help you and expect it from him... but believe strongly in it and I pray you will see an improvement.

bat

Edited by bat

Hi bat,

thank you for that reply....and I believe you 100%, it is (to me) a total mind thing, sometimes we will just be watching a movie and I'll start laughing and then it turns to crying in an instant, can never figure that out...lol

I work on it every single day all day long and thats the truth...it (why I refer to it as "it" I dont Know..lol) I know for a fact I'm not the only one and for sure know I'm not any worse off then the next guy or gal, it is amazing what you mentioned about the meds, I went through a 6 month spot where I could feel my self getting worse so I took my self off one of them to see what it did, nothing, so I took myself off one of the others and after about 2 weeks i started feeling better...

Went to the doctor (different one) and he told me I shouldnt have been taking those 3 together...figure that....so he changed the one and left the other 2, so I would have 3 pills to take 2 different times of day and night...the trazedone seems to help alot especially at night, it puts me to sleep and I wake up feeling good...

So I have about till the end of this month and will run out and I will be taking myself of them completely...I know God and myself can work this out and as long as I stay focused and make myself better, I know it will work work and I know I'll be fine...

Willing it away can and will work, you know it and I know it, some may have to work harder than others to accomplish it but it can be done...my lady helps me too, she will tell me when I start thinking negative and straighten me right up into positive thinking so it is nice to have 2 shoulders to lean on, God and my Lady.

Glad to hear from you, sometimes people (me) just dont realize or think that there are millions of people that have to deal with it, have dealt with it in some way, shape or form...

This is why I liked it here in the first place, always good people with Great advice.

Thank you again,

George